Logo

3116 marine engine not running right

pryner

I haven't been able to run the engines in my boat for more than six months. I finally got some time to take the boat out. I have 300 hp 3116s. Never had a problem with them. Before starting I drained the racor bowls as they had some sediment in them. After draining the bowls both engines fired up fine. Fired the engines up again and all was fine. Backed the boat out of the slip and about 2-3 minutes later one of the engines started to run rough like it was missing. I advanced the throttle a little and it smoothed out. When I tried to bring the boat on plane, there was no power to do so. After moving the throttle back to idle and advancing two more times, still no power. I decided to go back to the dock when the port engined died. After a few minutes it would restart, but would quickly die again. Acting like a fuel problem to me. We finally made it back to the dock on the one engine.
The next day I replaced the racor element and took the bowl completely apart and cleaned. The engine started but still didn't run right. Then I replaced the engine filter. The engine runs better but still isn't right. It has a consistent rattle that coincides with an engine miss.
Any troubleshooting ideas? Not sure what to check next.
Thanks
Pete

Found the problem! A fuel valve was left in the off position after some of the fuel work I'd done. My dumb move. There was plenty of fuel in the racor and the engine would start and run for a while, but would shut down because of vacuum lock. I kept seeing the fuel in the racor and assumed that I had fuel available to the engine.

Back