Logo

Rochester 4bbl carb choke question

Wayne Newman

I think I may have found the problem with why my Crusader 350's (1992 Silverton) are hard starting, especially when they have been sitting for a few days. I've got the choke assembly that has a coil spring that's mounted directly to the intake manifold, with the choke linkage attaching through a small 'loop' in the choke spring. While looking at them today, I see that on both engines, the rod that attaches the choke spring to the manifold bracket (the rod goes right through the center of the choke spring) is loose and spinning in the bracket. It looks like it was originally crimped to the bracket and it has come loose.

I reset the location of the choke spring so that when the choke linkage is attached, the carb choke plate is firmly closed when dead cold. At this position, I re-crimped the rod to the bracket with needle nose pliers. I've got a feeling that this won't be enough to hold it permamently.

I'm wondering if anyone else has found this problem.

Also, I wonder if I should put a little epoxy on the crimped joint? I'm not sure what else I could do. Maybe if I removed the assembly, I could solder the joint?

Thanks! Maybe this will help someone else check for this same problem.

Wayne

Had this in the past. Only realistic solution was to replace the entire choke spring unit. It's not expensive and it's easy to do.

Agree w/ Viking76 that replacement is best solution. never seen that particular issue firsthand. It's my understanding that the coils are positioned (some would say "indexed") on the mounting plate to get the proper travel based on temperature. Though possible, it isn't likely to get it right the first time. if you glue it wrong, its done. Getting enough heat to solder or braze it may alter the spring's expansion character.

The "spring" is really a strip of two metals back to back. They expand with heat at different rates so that when the engine warms up the coil spools up, which in turn operates the choke.

Wayne,
I'm in no way overly knowledgeable about carbs, but I have dealt with the hard starting after sitting awhile problem with Q-jets. It may not be the lack of choke but the lack of fuel up in the carb that requires you to crank alot. In that case pumping the throttle may help (or stopping the leak down). If you get too aggressive with the choke, it may start a bit sooner but it will be running really rich for awhile waiting for the engine to warm up. My experience has been that just a little bit of choke works but too much just wastes fuel and can foul up the plugs. Tim

Back