Logo

Need magneto for 7.5hp ted williams

zjp

Hi, I have a Sears Ted Williams Gamefisher 7.5hp Outboard (Model # 217-58591-0)I'm not getting a spark and am pretty sure it needs a new magneto. Does anyone have one to buy or have any suggestions where I can get one fairly cheap? I tried Discount Marine Parts and they're asking $175 for a rebuilt.

I am actually about to rip my engine apart, it is a ted williams also, and write down the part number for everything, i also need a new magneto. And im just gonna go to every part store/ website and try to match it up. Ill post again if i find anything.

Hi T-man10,
Thanks for the reply to my thread. Please let me know if you find a cheap source for parts. Good luck.

John

well no success with the search, also havent visited a lot of stores today, mainly websites. But i was told by a friend that since the Magneto is Tecumseh brand, that i should just be able to take another small engine of the same brand, like a lawnmower or similar engine, and just switch the magneto. Im not sure if it will work but its worth a try.
also the name of it is Tecumseh EZEE-Start Magneto.

What i am going to do is take the whole set, Condenser, coil, everything off and take it to a lawnmower shop and see if they can match it up, from what i understand, on mine, its the same as what goes onto lawnmowers.

i took the entire assembly off and took it to a mechanic or two. they said to file down the corrosion on the points in the magneto.

you don't have a magneto, you have Solid State ignition according to your model number, contact Ed Stoller at www.enginesandmagnets.com for a great cheap repair job or pay 175-240 for a CDI rebuilt. Your problem lie's in the C1 capacitor which is a old style oil and foil type and that is blown or will not hold its values.

you should never crank these SSI motors with out grounding the plug wire, however the newer style caps will take it some what better

I ordered a new ignition coil, it came in today, ill have to install it and see if it works now. only one thing left to replace if that doesnt work, the condenser! which is cheap, and im happy about that.

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. Thanks for the new information regarding my non-magneto. Just to confirm, attached are a few pictures. Is it a magneto or solid state ignition? Thanks for your help.

t-man10: How did your new replacement parts work out?

John

SOB9.jpg SOB8.jpgSOB4.jpg

well it didnt work with just the new ignition coil so i went ahead and ordered a condenser as well, both from Partstree.com, anyways i attached it and pulled and i didnt see a spark so i went with the old tried and true method and touched the metal with my bare hand to see if it would shock me. Well I jumped 6 feet, it shocked the hell out of my hand so it is definately working now. Next thing I need to tackle is the Carb, it looks clean at first glance but I am willing to bet it isnt.

Solid State ignition....CDI

join the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eskaoutboards/ and we have a write up on the do it yourself $5 fix....the C1 capacitor is a the old oil and foil type and blows way to easy...you can replace the C1 with a 630v 1uf cap and diode mounted externally...its all in Eds PDF at the groups files section. Depotting is the biggest challange but is highly doable or you can send it to Ed and he can fix it.

tman do you happen to have the number for the coil you ordered i saw on one thread seirra has one that works for like 27. i had it wrote down now i cant find it lol my coil is missing completely but it was free so price was right thx

well it didnt work with just the new ignition coil so i went ahead and ordered a condenser as well, both from Partstree.com, anyways i attached it and pulled and i didnt see a spark so i went with the old tried and true method and touched the metal with my bare hand to see if it would shock me. Well I jumped 6 feet, it shocked the hell out of my hand so it is definately working now. Next thing I need to tackle is the Carb, it looks clean at first glance but I am willing to bet it isnt.

can you tell me what part numbers you bought please

Solid State ignition....CDI

join the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eskaoutboards/ and we have a write up on the do it yourself $5 fix....the C1 capacitor is a the old oil and foil type and blows way to easy...you can replace the C1 with a 630v 1uf cap and diode mounted externally...its all in Eds PDF at the groups files section. Depotting is the biggest challange but is highly doable or you can send it to Ed and he can fix it.

Back