Logo

1996 Mercury 150 offshore EFI or carb. ???

cowebb1

Hello, great to be here. I have a 1996 Bayliner Trophy with a mercury 150 Offshore outboard on it. I called to get it serviced but the cost they are going to charge is just more than I can afford this year. I am going to attempt to do it myself. Before i open it up, is it a carb or EFI motor? The reason I am asking before I open it up is I need to slow down the speed when coming in to dock.
I guess what I am asking is how can I tell if carb or EFI by model number? Also, it does not have EFI on the cowl. I noticed some do. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
You should be able to tell just by taking the cowling off. Don't mean to sound rude but if you dont know the answer to that you should be questionning wether you should be servicing the engine yourself. I have stripped and removed many car engines in my life but dont do my own outboard as it is a completely different beast.

Yep, I thought about that when I got the quote from the marine mechanic, but this was my position when I first learned to tune up and fix my car and did lots of repairs to my motorcycle. I just would like to know what I have before I start in to it. I also have a repair manual for Mercury outboards. I'm sure when I take off the cowl I will know. Sometime nassity is the best teacher. At least it has been for me. If anyone knows, I am still wondering... EFI or Carb? Doesn't the 1996 Mercury 150 offshore that is Electronic Fuel Injected have the EFI label on the cowl? cowling... cowl you know what I mean. LOL thanks for any help.

Take off the cowling,look at the power head,if you see a carburetor or three,then it's a a carb model,if you see a rail running to each cyl it's EFI

FIRST: get an oem shop manual. Then you should be able to see carbs behind the air box. As far as doing the job yourself, think about this: My mtr is 21 years old and having problems with ignition. Got my book, got my ohm meter, and went to work (not the same as an auto). After finding out the compression is ok, Cleaned all four carbs, replaced most gas tubing, ordered a new fuel pump kit just in case, then the coils tested ok, then my readings were way off for the trigger, same with the stator, and with the switch box too. Then I found out what a DVA is, and am waiting for it to come in. Now I have to buy a flywheel puller to change what is under it. Decided to test all over again while all three of these parts are on the way! Since the mtr is over 21 years old, going to just replace everything.......at about $800...........are you sure you want to tackle it?

It is carb. I took it to a friends boat mechanic and he adjusted the timming and set the idle speed down for me, all this for $50

Great! I hope that fixes it for you. If anything else happens after you are on the water, don't run it more than just enough to get symtoms, then research. Some parts on that motor will kill other parts.....Good luck!

Back