Logo

AQ140a 1 wire alt conversion

jibbs

Say I wanted to convert my alt to a delco 1 wire. The existing alt had 3 wires, 1 hot, 1 negative, and 1 labeled resistor. Should I just run the hot wire to the alt, the negative to the case on the alt, and the resistor wire goes to? Thanks for any help...

Well, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I personally prefer three wire alts, but I'm nutty that way.
One wire means one wire. Just hook it direct to the hot feed. Kill the others.

What you're speaking of is the Delco 10 si.
They seem to work fine, but will usually require above 1,300 rpm or so to become excited.
Once excited, they remain active and at low rpm.... not a deal breaker, just an FYI.

Your POS wire connects as did with the previous alternator.
Your NEG chasiss lead also connects as did with the previous alternator.
(the chassis Neg to Engine Block is required)
Just cap off the excite and field wires... don't completely abandon them.

images

Last edited:
Very nice!!! So at low rpm just watch what accesories are on?
No, that's not exactly what I was saying.
The single wire 10 si will not normally self-excite at low rpm.
RPM needs to be increased for initial excite to occur.
Once excited, it will remain excited .... even at low RPM, until the engine is shut down again.

If this concerns you, purchase the same Delco in the 3 wire unit.
But you must now re-connect the field wire (with the diode in the circuit), or the Engine Ignition system may continue to be powered when you try to shut down.

See the Volvo Penta OEM alternator wiring schematic.

So if I understand you right, when i initially start the boat it will not charge until the rpm's are brought above 1300, and after that point it will continue to charge even when at idle? doesn't sound like a deal breaker if thats the case.

No alternator is doing any charging at idle. Your 65 amp alternator might put out something like 40-odd amps at wide open throttle on a warm day. At turn on RPM, it's maybe good for 10-15 amps. Alternators are optimistically rated at the peak RPM they can be safely run. Usually something like 6K rpm.

Last edited:
Back