Logo

Tohatsu 5 hp 4-stroke won't start

jimslewis

Gang -

I have a 5 hp, four-stroke that I have tried to start for the first time this year. It won't start.

The motor is fairly new (three years), but it hasn't been used in two years. Before I stored it (inside) I ran it dry of fuel and emptied the remote tank. I have fresh fuel in the remote tank, and when I pull I don't even get a "cough". I pulled the plug (looks OK), made sure the kill clip is engaged, and have tried it w/ and w/o choke, and on slow and fast throttle, and there is fuel in the filter (showing that my prime bulb is working). The indicator light does glow red briefly when I pull.

Any ideas before I pull my arm out of its socket? Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim,

I replied to your post on iBoats as well. You need to diagnose the fuel and ignition systems. Most common problem is fuel, but ignition problems do happen. Check plug color and condition. If soaking wet, you're flooded. If completely dry, no gas. Also test for spark. Full info is in the Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me.

Thanks, Paul - I checked the plug and it was dry. I then focused on the fuel line, found a blockage, and she started on the first pull (after being stored for 20+ months). Love that Tohatsu.

I appreciate your post - now I can go sailing this weekend!

Jim

Back