Logo

When to replace a honda 50 timing belt???

constablechris

Contributing Member
Hello to all,

I have a 2003 Honda 50, which has done thousands of hours all the while only ever being serviced by me (read changed oil, filters and plugs occassionally and impellers sometimes)

I am wondering about the timing belt. when does it need to be changed and what bits need changing???

any advice appreciated.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Honda do not put a life on any of their marine timing belts, they are to be inspected and replaced if they show signs of deterioration or damage in any way. If you are in doubt, then change the belt. What may be more of a concern is you have not mentioned ever checking your thermostat, which if it has done as many hours as you say, may be too late to get the bolts out without breakage.:(

Good luck
Cheers
John

Hi John,

Thanks for yor reply. I will have a look at it. Is it a hard job? I guess I will find out.

I have taken the thermo out everytime I do the impeller, ahd change the oils plugs and filters anually, The rest is as needed only.

Thanks for your reply

Chris

They are a sudden grenade job with no prior indication.
When they go, typically a bunch of teeth will tear off.
If you remove the belt & turn it inside out so the teeth are on the outside, then wrap part of it around a round object of approx 3 inches in diameter(any smaller and you can damage the belt cords).
Inspect and if you see any cracking along the root of the teeth where the teeth join the belt, renew it.

Bob

Back