Logo

1976 Bayliner AQ 130c Oil Change

duplexx22

Greetings all...

I just became the new captain of a 1976 Bayliner 16' Capri with the AQ 130C. I am a proficient mechanic and have no clue what to do about changing the oil in both the engine and the drive. Any info will help. I need to know how to drain the oil out of the engine as well as the drive, and how to fill both. I really appreciate it, and if your ever in Colorado, I'll make sure ya get skiing.... :>

Engine oil is pretty straight forward. I double up some garbage bags and place them under the drain plug then remove the plug. Keep a close eye on it so you dont overflow anywhere and then be careful taking the bags out. You can also use an extracter with a tube down the dipstick tube. There is also a permanent drain fitting with a tube available. The thread size on the AQ130 is 3/4-16. For the oil filter, slip a plastic bag all the way under and up the back of the oil cooler to minimize the amount that will drip out.

Outdrive is also easy. Just pull the plug and loosen the dipstick. Fill through the fill fitting above the shift shoe if it has one or through the hollow bolt in the top. Be good idea to change the o-rings and gasket on those as well. 10W-30 is called for in both. As a side issue, it's an annual maintenance check to perform pressure and vacuum tests on the outdrive when you change the oil.

As long as you're changing oil, no reason to not go ahead and hit all the zerks with a grease gun. The PDS bearings likes to be lubed with the engine running (dynamic vs static). Now that I think of it, it's a great idea to pull the upper gearbox and inspect and grease the u-joints. You'll need all the new o-rings for that as well.

Here's a link to the owners manual with the recommended maintenance and how to winterize and some other good info: http://www.volvopenta.com/VOLVOPENTA/GLOBAL/EN-GB/MARINE_LEISURE_ENGINES/PARTS_SERVICE/PUBLICATION_SEARCH/Pages/publication_search.aspx And of course, you should look into a set of manuals for the engine and outdrive.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Back