Logo

1979 100hp will not shift

delanojjjj

Motor shifted fine last season.Now it will not.I checked cable it is working fine and the shifter box with cable disconnected is working as well.
Could shifting gears freeze up over the winter? Can lack of lubrication cause this?Where do i go from here?

Last edited:
If it is used in salt water it could be the shift linkage on the mtr or the shift rod orings in the g/c.

had you tried shifting the motor by hand? turn the prop and try shifting the motor by hand, let us know what happens.

Is the shift rod moving up and down ???---------------If it is, then you may well have issues with the spline at the top of the driveshaft / bottom of the crankshaft.---------------If this area is not maintained / greased it will rust out.-------Salt water use I assume.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Shifter arm is frozen and spinning the prop and trying to move lever did not get any results.
Still no answers yet but we did pull lower end off.Should know better tomorrow afternoon.
I will follow up with a report.

Ok Got it fixed.Shifting fork was the problem.O-Ring old.A little salt water = lower end rebuild included new inpeller and off we go.For a old girl she runs real strong.
Thank you very much to the guys that took a shot at helping me out.I do really appreciate the input.

Back