Logo

1965 40hp johnson help please

mike

Regular Contributor
" My 1965 johnson 40 hp (m

" My 1965 johnson 40 hp (model # RDS27M ) Has a problem I can't figure out. It starts right up. but at an idle or full throttle it sputters (like the hiccups). I rebuilt the carb as best I could ( the kit didn't come with new jets). and I cleaned every thing else. I thought this would solve the problem,but it didn't. any Ideas would be help full. this is my first boat that someone gave me, so this is all kind of new to me. And expensive!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

MIKE "

look at the condition of the

look at the condition of the spark plugs and see if you are getting a good strong spark

I forgot to mention I have to

I forgot to mention I have to keep the choke butter fly 90% closed to stop it from sputtering. thats why I rebuilt the carb.I thought something was cloged. but it didn't help.

Check the operation of the li

Check the operation of the linkage that opens the throttle at full advance. Some people adjust it when it LOOKS wrong to them.Loosen the screw on the small round adjuster at the tower shaft. Next put the control at full throttle. Next move the rod to the carburetor to fully open the butterfly and lock the adjuster there.Next check that the butterfly does NOT I repeat NOT open before the roller on the carburetor lines up with a mark on the throttle cam on the magneto plate.Some models have a plastic cam adjuster on the arm to the butterfly.

"Mike..... You've overlook

"Mike..... You've overlooked something in that carburetor. Fuel must flow through the high speed jet that's located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber before it can get to the slow speed passageway. You're explanation of the engine's problem indicates that not enough fuel is getting through the carb at low speed, which means that the engine is running lean.

With the float chamber removed, notice that small hole in the float chamber at the gasket area. That hole and the corresponding hole in the upper carb body is the main slow speed passageway that leads to the adjustable needle valve area when going with the fuel flow. But first fuel must flow into that recessed area in the lower front area of the float chamber, through the brass fixed high speed jet, then into the main center nozzle area to gain access to the other passageways.

If you haven't removed that brass high speed jet and cleaned it thoroughly, or weren't able to remove it... clean it thoroughly with a piece of solid mechanics wire, or a paper clip.

Joe
"

Back