Logo

Water in oil, new engine installation,

floridakj

I just replaced a 93 4.3 with a 2008 vortex engine with a new 2 barrell intake manifold, and used the existing risers and elbows, I am getting water in the oil, and suspect intake leak, odered intake set with vin numbers, of truck engine was removed from, also checked plugs and find no water in firing chambers. I have had this apart 3 times, this engine had no signs of leaks when manifolds were removed, very clean. any sugesstions? thanks

Welcome aboard !

You have good compression ? If yes, under the the intake in the valley is a known problem for cracks in the v6. You can pressure test the cooling system.

Heads could have a internal crack. And lastly a internal crack in the block.

Thanks so much for your advice, I found the problem, shortly after posting this, the surface on the manifold and elbow is leaking. how I missed it during installation is beyond me, sending both to machine shop to have them resurfaced. I assum that would also cause the engine to want to overheat, I have installed a 160 t state, and after running for about 20 minutes, noted temp up to 200, cooling system appears clean. thanks again

i hate to tell you this but the riser and mani connection won't put water into the oil, it will let water into the cylinder with a open valve. usually the back most one nearest the riser.

Copied and pasted here from another thread on this website the author is the master mechanic Hystat:

block the cooling hoses to the manifolds with 5/8" bolts and clamps, supply regulated air pressure to the water supply to the thermostat housing (removed from the supply from the sterndrive obviously) pressurize the engine's cooling system to 10 or 15 psi - listen for the leaks."

Compression is good ? Do that first. We are trying to see if a head gasket went.

Last edited:
that is exactly what I was thinking befor, but then I stated taking the riser apart, and saw the gaskets and eroded surface, I agree with you, either a crack or leaking intakegasket

just think what would put water into a auto block ain't no difference.

I had a hole in my mani ;et water into the pushrod hole thus water in the oil.

preform compression on this 08 engine dry cyls #1 180 #3 180 #5 185 #2 185 #4 175 #6 185 has any one had problems with adapter intake manifold sealing with the rubber ring type gaskets? ? any thoughts? thanks

Last edited:
Never used 'em - or i am having a brain fart.

Good compression damn good, you could have them all the same using the vacuum gauge and tighten that one down a tad more . Dry is a good ballpark though, so not a blown head gasket.

So onward post back.

Last edited:
Back