Logo

1974 350Q thermostat

goatbuster

I have a 350Q in a 22' 1974 Tournament Fisherman. There is no thermostat in the housing. Somewhere down the line previous owners took it out. I think the engine runs too cool around 120f. Do I need an original marine thermostat or can I somehow find it at an auto parts store. Also why do you think they removed it and is 120 running to cool. Thanks

Is the engine running Raw Water, or a Closed System, and if Raw Water, is it Salt Water?

Any engine running in Salt Water and using that water for engine cooling shouldn't be running too hot, (around 150 F is best) as the salt in water too hot starts to build up inside the engine.

If you are running a Closed System, using Fresh Water with anti corrosion inhibitor, a thermostat of around 185 F will be fine.

Bruce.

Thanks, I ordered the correct thermostat. It's raw salt water cooled. I trailer the boat and flush out the engine after each use. We'll see what the running temp is when I install it. It sounds like around 150 is best. If it runs around 180 will flushing with fresh water help reduce the salt build up? I sometimes use the "Salt Away" solution when I flush it out.

Back