Logo

mercury 1992 25 hp switchbox question

Hey Everyone,

I have a 1992 25 hp merc and it no longer fires. I just happen to have a bunch of parts laying around so after i checked the kill switches i replaced the stator. It ran fine for about 10 minutes then died and once again have no spark. After this i took it to a local mechanic to see if he could find the problem.

He told me that it was the switchbox (blackbox) that had went bad. All the parts i have are for 1999 model mercs and im positive that these boxes are different. My question is can the newer box be wired to where it works on my 1992 model? He said it will but i have my doubts... Is there not timing issues involved with the different electronics?

Anyway, just let me know what you think or know about this. He says he has done it before but i am a little worried about a mechanic who does rig wiring jobs unless this is safely sufficient.

Thanks​

Re: mercury 25 switchbox question

Double check parts lists but I believe a 1992 and a 1999 use the same switchbox.

yes it will fit with no problem, the first thing to check make sure you stop switch are not at falt.Take out of system.
Then I would check trigger, on this motor we had many problrms. Take a volt meter and put on AC setting, take one trigger wire off.
Put neg in wire and Postive to block, and turn over, if meter moves then trigger is ok.The bigest problem when S/W box goes is bad ground coming off bock to block. Make sure paint is remove, from block if you need to install new S/W box. When block has paint on ground causes high resistance....

Steve

Back