Logo

Johnson 175 Fast Strike (loses power and cuts off under any kind of load)

DanBassMan

Dear Sirs,
I am new to postings and even newer to outboard engines. I have a 97 Johnson 175 Fast Strike. It will crank after about 5 mins of choking it and priming the bulb. Once it cranks, it will idle fine, seems to have plenty of compression (had a compression check done) however once you put it in gear and give it some gas and it starts to get under a load it just simply boggs down and dies and is very hard to crank after that and when it does it cuts right back off. I am in need of some goos sound advice as I have limited funds to spend but I want to fish so bad. I am willing to take it somewhere to a qualified mechanice But, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a general idea as to what this may be before I go get sticker shock. You can give the engine gas when in neutral and it reveres up and tack shows good rpms but when it is put in gear, it dies. Thank you very much to anyone for their input.

sounds like carbs to me, when was the last time they were cleaned?

coueytwo, I have really never had them taken off and cleaned. I do use Johnson fuel stabilizer every single time I add gas. I have never, ever had it even cut out until this problem started. The boat is used all year so it really does not ever sit for long. Do you still think it may be gummed up or have a lot of gunk it the carbs?

Thanks,
Dan

Back