Logo

What kind of gear oil do I use? 1997 115 hp

bikingrules2003

I just bought a 97 procraft fish and ski with a 97 mercury outboard 2 stroke 115 hp on it and was going to change out the lower unit gear oil and needed to know if there was a particular weight or kind of oil that I needed to buy. I ordered a manual for it but haven't received it yet. Also what other maintenance should be done? Thanks.

Re: What kind of gear oil do I use?

Welcome aboard. I would give you what I know but there are those here who are much more qualified with vastly greater experience. Look after your equipment and it will look after you. A workshop manual is a must so you are heading in the right direction already. Best of luck with it, enjoy.

Re: What kind of gear oil do I use?

Hi there,

Use any recognised marine lower case gear oil. it's low foam and has anti-corrosive properties. Don't use anything else unless in emergency situation. Good idea to replace shaft seal behind prop. Look at impellor too, ideal to replace each season, dependant on useage. It lasts longer the more it's used, strange but true.

Usual things:

Plugs - condition
Impeller - at least yearly
Fuel lines - integrity
2 T Oil - fresh
Safety equipment - as per local authority
Trailer wheel bearings & brake linings where need be

Start engine at least once a month in off season to keep internals lubed and impellor happy.

Just ask, we'll oblige no sweat!

Benjamin.

Sorry, but it IS. The SAE rating that the oil must pass makes it equal to the pricey oil some people insist on buying. It's your money to waste!

Jeff

This stuff is all " blended " according to what the customer ( walmart and others ) want to pay.----------------------It is not all the same !!!

It has to pass SAE requirements, and that's all that matters!

It amazes me how some people will happily spend twice as much for the exact same thing! Maybe it makes them feel good?

Jeff

Oil is not all the same, you need to read lettle more about oil.
Just because it was pass by SAE means nothing...It can pass oil at it's min rating.
So if oil is the same tell me what 20W40 is made up as Marine oil

Steve

Automotive oil has additives in it to keep it from braking down under high loads. These additives will brake down under the constant load of a marine engine and then the oil will brake down and then you will see excessive wear. Marine engine oil, 25w40, Does not have additives in it to keep it from braking down, it just does not brake down. It is a high grade oil that is designed for severe duty use.

I use quick silver 25/40 in my Cummings. 300000 miles with the factory turbo, no problems and clean as a whistle.

If you want your marine engine to run it's best and get long service life, purchase the marine engine oil.

Back