Logo

1987 Nissan 55 Question

Enios

Hell-o, New here and trying to pick up some information... I know these aren't made and almost impossible to find parts for, but I have acquired a 55 on a pontoon and need to know idle and top end timing... someone with no ideal what they were doing has it all out of whack... Upper crank shaft seal was bad and now that it's replace I have and hold 165 lbs of compression on both cylinders and runs within reason since I've cleaned, what looked like coffee grounds, out of the carbs... linkages have been jacked every which way and have gone about as far as I can without proper timing... I'm just guessing, but I think 2 to 3 ATDC and 20 BTDC.... I was having problem trying to figure their symbols, but it just has the arrow looking mark on it so I am thinking that must be TDC... If so they have timing set for start at 8* BTDC and running all the way off timing marks wide open... I have a service manual for 1992 - 2004 I got with my 99 90HP, but nothing to cover my 55 so I'm just guessing for the most part... Any help would be greatly appreciated since there doesn't seem to be much out there on these motors... Terry

Went with the 2 and 20 and it wouldn't torque up much past 4300 so went the extra 5 and she'll do the 5200 she should... Should get much good service out of this discontinued 55B from the way everything checks out... I've read several of your post on another forum and trying to remember... did you say this foot is the same as on several of their motors... I have the chance to pick up some power heads at a good price once in a while, Weiss lake pretty shallow in a lot of places and it gets many a foot on many motors... Brothers got a 60 Merc 4 stroke I would like to replace it with, but that ain't happening....:rolleyes:

Back