Logo

1988 Alpha One trim pump problem

1973 Browning Marine

Regular Contributor
Went down to Cape May this past Sunday with my daughter and a friend on my birthday. Went to public dock, launched boat, warmed up, started out of tributary towards back bay, had to stop for another boat coming up back creek, gave way, tried to trim up and stayed towards starboard side of canal, noticed that the trim gauge was reading full down, thought for a moment that the gauge might be acting up, tried to trim up again concerned about shallow water alarm on depthfinder, gauge still read full down, now I started to worry figuring out that the drive was indeed all the way down. The kicker is that I had boat out 3 times previous and never had an issue. Figures it would happen with two kids onboard!lol
Anyway, its not over yet! Meanwhile, as I waited for the other boat to proceed past my vessel, The wind
pushed me a little closer to the starboard beach so I finally was able to get past and tried to get back into deeper water but it was too late. Bump,Bump,Bump,Bump (hit bottom). I was only crawling along and don't think I was making 1500 rpms, but just the same, I hit bottom. I said to myself: This can't be happening! So, got through the shoal or freakin rock pile or whatever and proceeded across back bay very slowly aiming for channel markers. Made it out to jetty at end of intercoastal waterway and mouth of Delaware Bay and proceeded to anchor up so we could fish for an hour or two. It was absolutely gorgeous. I just couldn't find myself telling them we had to turn around and load back up! I did not want to ruin the day completely and they were having fun so I braved it out for about two and a half hours never letting them know what was going on. We finally headed back to the boat ramp and I had to take the pin out of sterndrive, lift it up with some rope comealongs to cleats and tie off. Meanwhile, I was up to my knees in 58 degree water! lol Got boat on trailer (thank God). Looked at prop and lets just say it was not a pretty site. Also noticed that the prop was trying to walk off the bottom shaft. And yes, I did have a brand new prop and all locking rings and tabs bent over. We still managed to have a nice day and that is all that counts but just by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin! lol
When depressing controller trim button up or down all I get is a click. I bypassed solenoid and jumped pump motor directly with no luck when I got home. I also noticed that the oil was kind of milky and I think it had alot to do with the fact that I did not bleed the cylinders themselves of old oil that probably sat for many years. Other than that would you guys say there is a good chance the pump motor or pump itself took a dump? any help would be appreciated, Tom

Thanks Bt Doctor for the help. Appreciate it! I think I am going to go with a new pump this time. I had that one apart and did not touch any of the valving. I just cleaned it up and it seemed to work for a little while but it was the original to the boat that I removed the drive out of, so I guess it is pretty old. Anyway, dont want to have to go through that again so maybe somebody knows where the best place is to buy a new trim pump? Thanks, Tom

Hate when that happens. If the oil is milky, you most likely have a leak and ingesting water into the system. Run it on the trailer and check for leaks. If you by-passed the solenoids and went directly to the pump motor and the motor runs, you should get some movement unless the pump is faulty. Could very well be the case if there's been water in the system for a while. Tom, the important thing is that the kids had a blast, right? Hitting bottom, $$$$. Watching kids have fun, priceless.

One issue that is common to these pump MOTORS, is either the brushes wear out ot the gound connection inside the motor housing gets crudded up or breaks all together. Just for the fun of it try to take the MOTOR only apart and see what it all looks like.........

Thanks everyone for the continued support. Woodieman, you understand why I had to try and make the day out of it. I did not have the heart to tell them we were going back to the trailer and loading up twenty minutes after launching.
And yes, they had a blast and it was priceless to say the least. As for the prop! I didn't care much for it anyway! lol
Agreed Bt Doctor about checking here for a pump but will do one last check like kghost mentioned. Kghost, I was planning on tearing the thing down and yes I did try and bypass the solenoids to power pump motor directly. Nothing happened when I did that except for a very light spark on the blue and green to motor when 12 volt was jumped. Also, the day after I got back, I figured I would bump the switch on control just to see if anything changed and wouldn't you know it, the drive motor on pump worked. (only two times and then nothing). Solenoids are clicking away so I believe that they are giving pump motor 12 volts but have not had a chance to test. But will do so this weekend. I was thinking about what you said about the ground wire. I did have this pump motor apart but just cleaned it up about a year or two ago. It actually looked pretty clean inside if that means anything. I also did not touch any of the valves or anything else except the electric motor. I am trying to remember where I ran my ground for the pump and whether or not the ground in pump might be rotted out. I also remember that the pump seemed to work better in up position rather than the down. It sounded different, like it was fighting itself a bit if that makes any sense. Figured I would give you all the info. that I have taken notice of. Like I said, I will have to pull it apart just for ***** and giggles hoping to find something obvious that can be repaired. One last thing, I really don't think that I am ingesting water into pump via the transom area because I have never seen a trace of oil while running on trailer. And the oil level is still where it is supposed to be. I noticed that the cap on the pump is pretty cheesy and I have washed down inside of boat and may have gotten water into reservoir but I can't see it being that much. I think one of the problems with water contamination comes from the old cylinders that I had taken off of a boat that was sitting for four or five years on a trailer outside and not knowing how to bleed old contaminated oil out of cylinders because of check valves in cylinders. Although, the oil did not look nasty. Maybe it is air and not water mixed up in reservoir. That would make it look cloudy. Maybe pump is cavitating and grabbing air. Just conjecture at this point but figured I would throw it in there. Thanks guys, Tom P.S. I will let you guys know what I find this weekend.

This motor is nothing more than a simple DC motor. It has brushes, a commutator, magnets, bushings on each end, and the center (armature).

I have had them apart before and some look like old soup and others have had water intrusion and the Ground connection which has a internal connection before the BLACK wire comes out of the housing gets corroded. If this goes bad then NO JUICE!!

Understood kghost, have not had a chance to break down and inspect but will post as soon as I get a chance to do so! I am thinking it is probably shot but I guess it is worth a little effort and time. thanks for the info. all the best, Tom

Got done early today and got pump apart. Gound wire had some corrosion. (cleaned it up). Removed brushes and sprayed down all components with electrical contact cleaner. There was also some light rust on commutator and magnets. I also cleaned them up with a wire brush and sprayed everything down, blew it off, sprayed it down,ditto. The pump is working like a champ again. One last question: Where and how would the system get water intrusion? I did leave the boat uncovered for quite some time last year but the pump is mounted on the inside transom and can't see it getting that much inside. Like I said, I did not bleed the cylinders because of the check valves and was unable to collapse the cylinders to get rid of contaminated oil. (condensate) Is it possible that the milky looking oil that I was experiencing could have cycled out of the cylinders over time and contaminated the reservoir? Or is it possible that a cylinder or hose or fitting could suck water up into sysem while boat is in water and drive is submerged? As I stated earlier, there is absolutely no signs of any leaks in the system. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. all the best, Tom

Thanks Docksidemarineservices, I think all that was wrong was that I had the ground mounted to pump frame with wire eyelets and was not getting sufficient ground for pump to operate properly. Also had some crap inside of of electric motor. It seems to be working fine now but will take you up on that pump a little later if it is still available and the pump acts up again. I want to see what happens first. Cross your fingers. Like making chicken salad out of chicken ****! lol

It is probably just condensation getting into the pump. When you leave it uncovered and it rains on everything, then the sun comes out and heats up the engine bay and where the trim pump sits, all the stuff can get condensation in it.

Thanks holinwtr, I am hoping this is the case but will try and keep an eye out for discoloration of oil and maybe try and bleed some more oil out of the system.
The oil looks good at the moment but I have not put boat back in the water yet. Thanks, Tom

It is probably just condensation getting into the pump. When you leave it uncovered and it rains on everything, then the sun comes out and heats up the engine bay and where the trim pump sits, all the stuff can get condensation in it.

I was told that i need a new pump because water is in it and they said it will cost me about $1400 to purchase and have them replace it. they tried to tell me the pump was $1100. I was having the same issue as the gentleman in this post. when i hit the button i here clicking noises and nothing moves. is this price a good price or is it outrageous?? If so where can i find the pump for a good price.
Thanks ahead of time for everyone's help!

Back