Logo

1997 5.7 mcm wont start

raz

i've got a 1996 searay 210 with a 5.7 thunderbolt v ignition. seems like its trying to start but wont. sprayed some starting fluid in carb didnt start. i have fuel in carb. did the troubleshootng in manual seems like its the ignition module {$600} before i spend the money any ideas , could i get aftermarket module/ distribitor
any ideas
thanks raz

Re: 5.7 mcm wont start

I`ve seen corrosion build up on the mounting bolts and the connector bolts in the module in the dist. Remove and clean all connections first, then do the diag tests again.

had the distributor apart everything looked clean and tight. ordered the ignition module hope i dont burn it out.
raz

cancel the order buy a hei unit with the coil built in, one wire in one wire out and and one wire to the tach.

Since this is carbureted, my suggestion would be the YLM624AV, and rid yourself of EST altogether.
No external module, no photo eye, just good ole tried and proven VR triggering.

An e-Bay seller is once again offering these for $170. (retail/list is close to $300)
Says remanufactured, but I've seen and have these here, and there is nothing that suggests that these have been pre-run on an engine.
Likely a recall for a component or ___ !

Fits: Chevy V8/RH 262, 265, 267, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, 396, 400, 402, 427, 454, 502 engines. (Clockwise rotation)
Notes: Mallory YLM Series Magnetic Breakerless Non-Tach Drive Electronic Distributors.

!C!yuwGg!Wk~$(KGrHqZ,!iwE0GK3+gWQBNEjVGhW7g~~_12.JPG

Just a suggestion! :)

Last edited:
what did you get exactly maybe we can pass on the link for the next guy, this is a problem that alot of people face. What coil you go with also.

bought the mallory from above , it was on ebay from jegs. motor sounds better than before, saved 2-4 hundred dollars.

Back