Logo

volvo penta out drive

bcclew

Regular Contributor
hi gang new to volvo would like a little iput on 1984 volvo set up with 5.7 how do they compare to merc i am not that use to volvo out drives but am with merc the boat is a bayliner contessa 1985 any help would be great thanks bcclew

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum,
Well the 5.7 L GM motor small block both Volvo and Merc will be almost identical. no diiference in reliability or
power unless one had a 4bbl carb vs. 2 bbl carb. otherwise you should feel right at home engine wise. now transom
and drive are going to be 100% different but in a good way. unlike merc, volvo uses a PDS system(primary drive shaft).
no gimbel bearings to change although you DO have to service PDS bearings. no dog clutch(clunk engagement). only smooth cone clutch gearing from here on out...volvo uses more heavy duty and IMO better parts when building. instead of an 8 hour
bellows job, you looking at less than half that time for the volvo. very easy to maintain and service. if taken care it will be very good drive and be servicable for a long time to come!! Good Luck. yours will either be a 270 or 275 series aquamatic drive.
if single prop drive will take motor oil for lubrication. if duo prop will take gl-5 gear lube and u dont have to pump up into drive. pour into drive and check with dip stick. very nice and easy. all my volvo drives have been almost bulletproof for me.
i wouldnt go anyother way!!

Profile?Where you at?Volvo way more dependable.Also a bit more costly.
If maintained right it will last a LONG time.
A good grease gun and a GOOD, VOLVO manual will do wonders for the guy who can maintain his own.
There is a grease fitting at the back of the bell housing in the motor compartment(not on the steering) that lubes the drive shaft.Find it and don't be aftraid to pump it up.
ANY questions,don't be afraid to ask.J

I am new to boating, just had my vovlo 290 sx drive pulled and in for service. I noticed a whirling sound from the fly wheel area when the engine is running. The pds has some up and down play in it. Is my bearing(s) in need of replacing. And just to check if the noise is in deed the bearings, can i pull out the pds and run the engine with out doing any harm to see it the noise goes away. Thanks

This thread was started in May of 2011.
Best to start a new thread. I can offer you some good info here in your new thread.

I am new to boating, just had my vovlo 290 sx drive pulled and in for service. I noticed a whirling sound from the fly wheel area when the engine is running. The pds has some up and down play in it.
Is my bearing(s) in need of replacing. And just to check if the noise is in deed the bearings, can i pull out the pds and run the engine with out doing any harm to see it the noise goes away. Thanks
Meanwhile, pictures would be great since there is no Volvo Penta 290 SX drive, and in 1984 your PDS bearings offer a challenge to you.

Back