Logo

port engine to starboard 1977 318

tk28hunt

I have a 77 Trojan with 318s in it. My starboard motor is shot. I have a crate motor but its for port side (normal rotation). I want to put it in my starboard side. I know i have to change camshaft but Ive also been told I have to turn pistons around and change seals? Can some one offer me some assistance?

Re: port engine to starboard

I would find a local machine shop that has experience with Chrysler Marine engines, and pick their brains.... if they are willing to share this with you.

I can't speak for the 318's, per se'..... I don't know enough about the Chrysler Marine version.
I do see that several piston styles are used in both the 318's and 360's!

With the SBC, you will find full dished pistons that require the small chamber cylinder heads in order to maintain the correct C/R.
Visa-versa with the flat top pistons!
I can only assume that Chrysler may also offer several cylinder head chamber volumes..... again, I don't know!

Point being; If you are re-using your cylinder heads, make sure that your piston/cylinder head combination are complimentary to one another.

In addition to the camshaft. the rear main seal has to be changed, the pistons rotated 180 degrees (so 'F' points to the rear) and you'll need the reverse rotation distributor.

Jeff

Jeff, just to clarify that statement, he'll need the reverse gear distributor, correct?
Actual Distributor rotation remains the same, correct?
Or did Chrysler offer a reverse rotation oil pump?

Hey..... I'm a Chevy guy..... what can I say? :D

The distributor turns the same way, but has a special collar attached to it to counter the thrust forces.

Jeff

Back