Logo

trim tilt wont go up

Hi yall,
I'm having this trim tilt problem. I bypassed electrical switches and connected blue and green wires directly from motor to battery trim will go down no prob, will not trim up. Oh yeah I have a 1982 evinrude 90hp. I added trim fluid to reservoir it was a little low. Is my trim motor shot? What should I check next. I'm hoping the hydrolics are ok.

need more details, when trying to trim up, do you hear the motor spinning? Motor has blue and green cables only? Remember, in DC electric motors, inverting connections=inverting direction... and where is the click located, in the motor? need more details if possible

whaler_pr,
When i trim up i hear the trim motor clicking but motor doesnt move. What about priming the hydrolic system? I read in evinrude manual pull motor up manually after filling resevior until you cant pull it up anymore. Is there any other method. I just added the fluid and tried to trim with switch. I didnt prime it....

garry

every hydraulic system needs air bleeding procedure to work properly... some are automatic, others not, I have experience in industrial machine hydraulics but I never had the opportunity to work with power trim systems. I do not think your problem is air bleeding related but try to bleed the system, they should have something like the brake calipers on the cars...

I have a 2004 Triton with a Johnson 175 HP. It has been sitting for about a year. The tilt will only go down and not up. I have switched the relays with no change. I can hear the relays click for the tilt down but does not click the relays to tilt up.
I have tried the switch on the motor and the tilt switch on the steering wheel but it will not activate the tilt up.
Is there a safety switch causing the tilt up not to work? Please help. The relay or the motor does not run for the tilt up. Runs great for tilt down.

Last edited:
If you wired battery voltage directly to the motor it sounds like a motor problem providing you checked the fluid level in the full up position.

Back