Logo

Power pack output 1976 70 hp

gcw13

Can anyone tell me what the power pack output should be on a 1976 70 horse evinrude?
Note: I have not found the output in the user or service manuals. CDI support appears to be down.

Re: Power pack output

Should be 180 volts or higher useing a peak reading voltmeter or a dva adapter on your volt/ohm meter.

I don't have a peak or DVA adapter on my Flute meter. I tried checking with standard 12 volt setting and got
12.6, 12.8, and 12.7 readings on my three output screws to ground while chanking. Should this, Does this tell me anything?

I can't really tell you as I've never used anything but the proper equipment and never tried it with a straight volt meter. Maybe somebody who knows will chime in here.

My users manual says Stator out puts 300 volts AC and sends it to the Capasitor in the power pack but it does not say what the out put at the power pack going to the coils is. I disconnected the coils from the power pack and in place of a neon light I used a Flute DC volt meter from each screw on the power pack where the coils were attached and to ground while cranking the engine. Same procedure as is shown in the manual for a neon light, excep I used the volt meter.

The 180 volts comes from the pack and goes to the coils. You have to have the CORRECT test equipment to measure this voltage reading. Thirty yrs ago or better they used neon test lites to check these systems but all they told you were there was a voltage there but not how much and not very accurate.

Last edited:
Boobie,
Thank you for your time and the information you posted. I think I was looking for the worst when all my problem was, is loose plug boots. I repaced the boots and wire clips yesterday and took the boat to the lake. It ran good. No mis fires and still plenty of pep for a 35 year old boat. I have had a problem for two years. Engine ran very irratic. At times there were no problems. At other times it would just barely run. Three different boat shops didn't find it. I think they were all parts changers. Three new coils and lots of labor money. It now appears new plug boots fixed the problem. If it appears again the next time out I will get a DVA meter and check it out myself starting with the coils and working back to the Stator, timer base and sensor. People on both this forum and the Iboat forum have made my day. Thanks to all. I think I'm back on the lake. Two years of frustration doesn't make for smiling face.

gcw you mean a Fluke meter? Bob, I was thinking the output from the powerpack were 12 volts to the coils, that 180 I learned today. We learn something new every day ;)

Back