Logo

160* thermostat 1981 318

mictat2214

Contributing Member
I'm experimenting with a 160* thermostat in a 1981 RWC 318 vs. the 142* thermo that I was using. On the hose it warms up much quicker and seems to run smoother. Hopefully it will perform adequately when under a load. Will soon find out as launch time for the Penn Yan is fast approaching.

Re: 160* thermostat

Be careful! There's not enough back pressure to keep water from turning to steam when you back off the throttle after a hard run. And steam doesn't cool worth a darn. If you insist on running them in a RWC motor, be sure to let the motor cool slowly and carefully after a run, with a prolonged idling period.

Jeff

Re: 160* thermostat

Be careful! There's not enough back pressure to keep water from turning to steam when you back off the throttle after a hard run. And steam doesn't cool worth a darn. If you insist on running them in a RWC motor, be sure to let the motor cool slowly and carefully after a run, with a prolonged idling period.

Jeff

Thanx for the heads up, Jeff. I went to NAPA & all that was shown in the marine catalog under Chrysler 318 was a 160* thermo... The 1 I removed was 142*; functioning perfectly, but old... What's your take on the actual running temp. with a 160* in a 20' Penn Yan open used in salt water? I will most certainly heed your precautions & report back... Mike.

Don't do it! The 160 stat is for FWC which, being a closed system, can develop enough back pressure to prevent steam generation inside the heads. Use the old one if you cna't find a new 140 stat.

Jeff

RWC came with 140 and FWC came with 160 from the factory. The conventional wisdom behind that is that a motor running cooler will not corrode as fast in salt water.

Jack

That may be the "conventional wisdow", but the truth is that ther 140 is used do to a lack of back pressure.

Jeff

My 318 inboard came from factory with the 160 thermostat and gave nary a problem in 35 years of running RWC. Still good when I sold the vessel last year.

Back