Logo

Poor oiling at idle?

firepiper

Contributing Member
I've been told, and heard in several places, that my gen 454's (late 80's), have poor oil flow at idle. The real bummer is that once i get to the grounds....i shut one and idle/troll/jig all day! Any additives or procedures that will help? Thanks

There is a procedure for adding an oil sprayer bar to the block. I believe its only an issue below 1200rpm; the article I have is from an old 4X4 mag. In any case, I'd use a high zinc oil or ZDDP additive if you are doing much running down in that rpm range.

4-Wheel and Off-Road magazine. May 1999. He recommends that the proceedure be done on a bare block, since there is some minor drilling/tapping involved. I would tend to just use ZDDP, and run it until a cam wears down, if ever, and then do the rework.
The other item for consideration is a high volume (not hi pressure) oil pump. Or at least, minimize the clearance in a stock pump by lapping the cover and controlling the gear to cover clearance.

Last edited:
I guess, since i'm in water already, i'll try the additive/oil route. Maybe, in the off season i can see about the oil pump procedure. Thanks.

Lucas makes a ZDDP additive you can buy in a quart bottle. Use 1/2 quart per engine (per their tech guy).

Jeff

Back