Logo

need help 1987 190

Ron Anthony

i just bought my first boat. It is an 87 starline 190 mirage with an omc inboard/outboard motor. It ran fine when i first put it in the lake, but after running it for about an hour and a half i shut it down and when i tried to start it back up it would not start. after returning home i was told i have to put 89 octane gas in it or higher. I didnt know this before i took it to the lake and i had filled it up with 87 octane. Could this be my problem and how do i remedy it? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: need help

Welcome aboard !

When you say it would not start you mean it cranked and cranked but wouldn't start.

What motor ?

The octane doesn't have nothing to do with the motor not starting.

What was missing spark or fuel.

Take off a plug wire install a spare plug and hold it to the block and crank the motor see a spark you have spark and are missing fuel.

Post back what your missing.

Re: need help

We can help better with more info, like even a picture of the engine. The good news is that it was running, so there must be some small thing that is wrong. Could be a blown condensor, clogged fuel line or stuck needle valve or the like. Maybe a wire fell off. Hard to say.

Could be a blown coil...or a miriade of other things. Could be as simple as a wire that fell off. How well did you "pre trip " the engine? Or did you?

There are 3 loose wires 2 of which are grey and come together in the same eye type connector which I connected to the positive connection on the coil. Doing this gave me a stronger spark. I am not sure what all is involved with pre tripping the engine, but I did check the oil and topped off the gas.

not sure what motor is in it other than it is an omc. The person I bought the boat from didn't know very much about the boat he had gotten it in a trade deal about a month before he sold it to me.

There are 3 loose wires 2 of which are grey and come together in the same eye type connector which I connected to the positive connection on the coil. Doing this gave me a stronger spark. I am not sure what all is involved with pre tripping the engine, but I did check the oil and topped off the gas.

Pre-tripping, should involve things like: 1. Checking the alternator belt for proper tension, fraying, cracks, etc. 2. Physically inspecting the engine for loose wires, frayed wires, etc. 3. Checking the oil (which you said you did). 4. checking Battery connection (are they tight, and secure?) 5. Making sure ALL safety gear is aboard (this involves checking your areas rules according to the size of the Boat) 6. Starting the Boat at the Dock, and letting it warm up, all the while checking for water leaks on and around the engine.
These things will usually always ensure a safe, and stress free day of boating without worrying about things.
Without sounding snarky, I suggest you do some research on your Boat to find out what engine and what Drive you have. There are many on here FAR more knowledgeable than I who can help you. They need certain information first.
Do yourself another favour, and buy a Seloc Manual for your Boat. I did, and have never regretted it. The Manual will tell you how to check certain Oilos, in your Drive, perhaps preventing more headaches that can be nipped in the bud as they say. Post us a picture in the Boat Photo Section. Mine is there.

if you have spark and fuel, time to do a compression test, and check that air is getting through the flame arrester.
If you have compression, air, fuel and properly timed spark...the engine is running. give it those things and you cant stop it
so check all those things including timing, -maybe the timing chain skipped a tooth, or if it's the dreaded 2.3, the 25 year old rubber timing belt may be jumping around with a bunch of missing teeth and all rotted and stretched

Last edited:
Back