Logo

'1973 7.5 hp ]Mercury

Aaron Lariscy

I just bought this motor last week and have been working out the issues with it trying to get ready to go fishing. So far I have it running good but I can't get the cowl to stay latched. Just idling it vibrates loose. I know I am missing the cowl gasket but is there someway to tighten it up so it will quit releasing?

Re: '73 7.5 Mercury

can you tighten the latches? On mine you can, that said, try getting weatherstripping, the kind that you peel off one side to expose the adhesive, put it around the inside edge where it meets the engine, that will help the vibration and tightness. Barring that, there's good ol' duct tape, or gorrilla tape witch would match better color wise, as a short term fix.

Re: '73 7.5 Mercury

can you tighten the latches? On mine you can, that said, try getting weatherstripping, the kind that you peel off one side to expose the adhesive, put it around the inside edge where it meets the engine, that will help the vibration and tightness. Barring that, there's good ol' duct tape, or gorrilla tape witch would match better color wise, as a short term fix.
Could you share a picture of where you are talking about or a picture of the factory gasket I thought of doing just such but don't understand where exactly it should go there doesn't appear to be a good flat spot to seal against

Back