Logo

Won't go fwd... 1964 18 hp

Hi all!

I have a 1964 18 h.p. Evinrude (Model 18402D) and I'm trying to get it up and running because I toasted a piston in my '81 7.5 h.p. Johnson. Currently I'm working on the lower unit and gearcase, replacing the water pump and all seals and o-rings in the gearcase. I got the seals and o-rings in tonight but when doing a "dry run" to make sre everything meshed right before I seal it back up I found that it doesn't go forward, reverse works fine. I can't see anything binding, the clutch dog moves freely.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

Re: Won't go fwd...

Either the driveshaft or propshaft must be turning when shifting in order to align the shifter lobes on the dog and gears.

Ok, but keep in mind the entire lower unit assembly is NOT mounted to the powerhead. I'm turning this sucker by hand. I'll give it a try none the less. This just came to me, when I first got this motor on the water and had it running it didnt go fwd then either. If your suggestion doesn't work, what else might it be?

With engine assembled and on the boat, faulty shifting could be due to the shift rods not aligned in the brass shift connector properly, excessive play in the internal linkages, things of that nature.

Excessive play = Anything over 1/16" . Actually you don't want any play to speak of but some is going to exist due to wear etc..... and absolutely no play at all usually indicates a frozen unit.

Example.... 1/4" of play in the linkage will obviously result in quite a bit of negative movement at the shifter dog/gear even though the gear shift handle has moved quite a bit.

Good news! I got the gear case moving fwd and rev! It was a simple thing too (are they always), the gearcase head wasn't seated properly. Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it.

Jeff

Back