Logo

3-53 no throttle response above idle

Bill Brigham

I have an old milatire 3-53 replaced fuel filters and now will start and idle but when I throttle up she dogs and starts to smoke a bit.
Replaced fuel pump with a used one because I thought relief vale uas stuck. removed air box and checked air shut off plate. It is a twin engine boat and the other works fine to almirante fuel quality concerns. Some one removed the governor and put it back on and wounder if it would mess up adjustments. Help Bill
You can cal me on verizon cell phone at 315 723-0421

I'm not really a 3-53 guy but I don't see anyone else answering so...
What's the whole story?
It ran great until you changed the filters?
Or, it ran great until "some one" R&Rd the Governor and THEN it ran lousy so you tried to fix it by changing the filters and pump?
Or, it always ran lousy since you've known it and all this is part of an attempt to get it fixed?
What color is the smoke?

It is kind of confusing. Ran great when put up for the winter. Start it up just fine But was acting a bit sluggish. So we changed both primary and secondary fuel filters and filled the tank. Have not had any problems with the other engine. Double checked all fuel filters for leaks and replaced all gaskets. Seems to be too much fuel But that is just a guess. We swapped out fuel pumps and governors with another engine and symptom has not changed. She'll start up an idle but 1 throttling to full throttle She just dogs and doesn't rub up. Every now and then it won't start and lots of white smoke comes out of air box. So I pull fuel cutoff for few minutes and put it back down intial start. We are lost on this 1 thinking of doing compression check. Hope you have some ideas.

More questions than answers.
Why do you say "too much fuel"? Is there a lot of black smoke when it "dogs" out?
When you use the term "air box" what exactly do you mean? Is it the intake before the blower? Or do you mean white smoke comes out the drain tubes and crankcase vent?
Does white smoke come out exhaust when it won't start?

Have you gone back and re-checked primary fuel filter for possible clogging? Have you hooked up a pressure gauge to the secondary filter to check for excessive pressure? Compare to your good running engine if you don't have a spec.

Could be something as simple as a piece of debris lodged in the restricted return fitting and, yes, that would cause pump to go into pressure relief and over pressurize the injectors.

Something that comes to mind is that you may have got a gulp of water from the tank from initial start if it was put up with fuel in it last winter. That COULD have hurt an injector tip or two but I doubt it.

The fact that it starts and idles ok kinda tells me the engine is sound. Starting up says you have decent compression. A smooth idle indicates the governor is at least partially set up right. It has to go to full fuel to start and then immediately come back to idle so that means the weights and riser are working.

If you have an injector rack hanging on one injector, that would affect the other cylinders on that old style rack control tube. I would pop the valve cover and make sure all the racks go in and out smoothly independent of the others. That's my best guess as to what it is from here but, then again, I'm 3,000 miles west of ya.

I think too much fuel because of black sup smoke out exhaust and a white smoke out of intake like fun for fuel and a strong odor of fuel. When I say air box I mean air silencer prior to blower. and when it does it start yes white smoke out of exhaust as well. I pinched of fuel return line and head no change. But put fuel return line in bucket and have fuel coming out with no air. The injector rack seems to be free and I'm sticking out of all injector. The arms that come out of the injectors to the fuel tube to do not rotate are they supposed to?

Thank you. Found the blower gear bro king of the shaft And sitting inside the cover. It was broke at an angle so could have been turning the blower every now and then. Now we have to pull the blower to find out what made a break.i

Hi Bill,
Glad you found the culprit. Sorry I didn't return your call but you left the message on my home phone and I just got back in and heard it at about 10pm your time. I'm really not familiar at all with the nuts and bolts of the 53's so I wouldn't be a very good source of info for the repair. Just a theory guy at this point. Good luck with the old girl.

Back