Logo

1991 Johnson Outboard motor 25hp, 2-stroke, electric start, leaking oil on lower unit

rjw4259

Contributing Member
My model# is J25TELEIE, this motor runs great but I notice a little bit of oil dripping from the rear fin on the lower unit, it is coming from a little teeny hole. Is this normal or is this a sign of a problem with the lower unit seals?? Thanks for any help with this.

Thanks coueytwo, can you explain why this oil is present at this little hole??? I'm not a mechanical person, especially with outboards but I would like to understand why this not a matter for concern if you can enlighten me I will really appreciate the help? Thanks again.

Have you been running it on a hose? it looks and sounds like exhaust gas/oil mixed with water.
If it was the gear case oil it would be leaking from the Propeller shaft seal which is right at bearing housing and seal.
to check the gear oil, remove the lower gear case oil screw, If the seals have failed the first thing out will be water, and check the color of the gear oil with the oil that is leaking from the little hole. The gear oil should not black like the exhaust gas/oil.

Yes, I have not ran it in the lake yet, I have been running it on the motor muff. I have an Accumix fuel tank with this motor which automatically mixes the outboard oil with the gas, so your saying this is the unburned outboard oil from the fuel mixture? That makes sense, the accumix may very well put a little more oil in the gas than hand mixing which may result in more unburned oil than normal. I am told that 2cycle engines only burn about 50% of the fuel anyways and pump the rest into the water, is that true? By the way did you look at the picture of the motor I attached? Thanjs a bunch, I will check the lower unit oil, it needs to be changed anyways.

Back