Logo

One prop shaft turning easier than the other

wit

29' Phoenix with twin 350' crusaders. So I was in the water brushing down the hull of the boat today and while scraping off the two or three barnacles that had just started to develop on each prop*I noticed that the starboard prop*turned by hand*quite freely while the port required a bit more effort and made a slight squeaking sound (underwater) when I turned it. Both engines were in neutral. (and obviously not running)
Engines run fine though I did notice a very slight RPM bounch on the tach while running home. (+-50-75)*Got back and*felt both shafts, not hot at all. Is this a concern and if so What would you check first? Bearings?*****

probably a little misaligned. remove the propshaft from the engine and see how it turns. I thought I had mine aligned perfectly and I turned it with the flange bolts almost tight and was fine then tighened them another 1/2 turn and it was binding as you describe. There is almost no margin of error in alignment.

Like sammi said, probably an alignment issue. Unbolt the coupler, separate from the tranny flange and take note if it jumps in any direction. If it does, that's most likely the point to which the strut is aligned to. Something that should be checked outside the boat first to ensure the shaft is going through as close to the center of the shaft tube as possible. Bring the coupler back to the flange and mate both surfaces together (do not bolt). Using a feeler gauge, insert between the two checking at spots all the way around. The max gap difference allowed is .003".

Before you do all that, use a spray bottle filled with soapy water to lube the cutlass bearing and try again. It might just be a dry friction issue.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies! Yes, boat is in the water with no real easy way of pulling it so I wanted to make sure I check all I can before going that route. Last time out I couldn't do much toubleshooting as I was out with the family but will get down into the engine compartment and check the shaft alignment further this week.

Back