Logo

Whats a reasonable charge to clean carbs? 1998 40 hp

Re: Whats a reasonable charge to clean carbs?

About 3 hours labor. That is clean the fuel line from the tank to the carbs, carb removal, disassemble, clean, reassemble, reinstall, sync and adjust.

1.5 hrs for first carb
1 hr per other carbs
.5 hrs water test and sync

i got 4 hrs

Mechanic checked the boat and says it needs a fuel pump. I don't know about this since I can pump the primer bulb when it's running and it doesn't fix the problem. Do I need a new mechanic (which will be a problem since the marina I'm in doesn't allow outside contractors)

It may be possible that your fuel pump is bad...but it sure sounds like a carburator problem (as long as the spark and compression are good).

It sounds like a second opinion is in order.

Talk with the Service Manager and ask him/her to explain how they came to that conclusion.

Is anyone there Honda trained? Although.... a good mechanic with Four Stroke experience should be able to handle what seems to be your problem.

Did they check compression and spark?

If everything else is working correctly and you have a bad fuel pump, the engine should run (without activating the choke) for a minute or two anyway, while it uses the fuel that you manually pumped into the carburators with the fuel bulb.

Mike

One man shop and he owns the marina so not many options. He says he measured fuel pressure and got zero but if I manually operate the choke and throttle I can keep it running for ten or fifteen minutes. Are the two outputs on the pump the same?

Never had to measure them, but they should be relatively the same.

Mike

Simple test is to pump up the carbs then remove the out let line on the pump and put on a long line and into a glass jar and fire it up. If you get lots of fuel it might be something else- No fuel or lots of bubbles- drop the inlet line to the fuel pump in a fuel supply and run again. If you get fuel- it's the tank, line or connectors- No fuel it's the pump. Check your oil level- bad diaphragms put fuel in the oil.

This pump should produce less than 10psi. Closer to 5psi is probably more like it. So, if your man is checking pressure with a 100 or 150 psi gauge, then gauge error could account for a 0 reading.

These carbs don't operate on pressure per se'. They need flow. And, as others here have indicated, putting the pump outlet line into a container and spinning the engine should produce a few milliliters in a few seconds. If that's the case, it's time to move on to a good carb cleaning and perhaps on to the trailer to find a competent mechanic.

New fuel pump should be installed tomorrow. I'm assuming it will not fix the problem and wonder what is the appropriate thing to do about the cost? Is it appropriate to pay for the diagnosis and repair if it doesn't fix the problem? Should there be a discount or cost share? Just looking for what other people think.

Mike

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have an agreement with the shop/mechanic that if this doesn't fix your problem, then his diagnosis would have been proven wrong and you should receive some consideration on the repair.

You are, however, pursuing a course that you've already stated that you really don't believe in so this seems, at least to me, a form of "process of elimination" troubleshooting that you are agreeing to try. For which, the man is entitled to be compensated.

State your case ahead of time and settle on some terms BEFORE the work begins to prevent having to argue the point after the fact.

Thanks, yes I am a willing participant in the troubleshooting. It's a dammed if you do dammed if you don't situation. I was going to tell him to clean the carbs but decided not to tell him how to do his job since he is the professional. I now regret turning over the control and suffering the consequences. Now I just want to do what's fair, not start an argument.

Hopefully the phone will ring soon and I'll find out it fixed the problem.

Well, at the very minimum, if the new pump doesn't fix it make sure he returns your old one to be kept as a spare.

The fuel pump is cheaper than a carb job...let's hope it does the trick. As you can tell, we seem to have doubts.

In any case, being patient with the tech may pay off...he does own the Marina. You will be seeing him a lot and possibly needing some help on occasions. If he is any kind of businessman, he will remember this situation, whatever the outcome, and hopefully be there for you if a bind.

Also, we are all out in "internet land" and he is there looking at it.

Mike

I'm not upset, just looking for some opinions on whats the right thing to do. The mechanics experience is with larger boats with diesels etc so this is a learning experience for him too. My real concern is that I'm anxious to use the boat. Bought it last year fall and it has been out of the slip exactly one time! If this doesn't fix it it's another weekend or two lost.

You got some pretty smart guys out on this one. If I may, one problem I had with Honda's is the float bowls on the carbs have a tiny port made into them that goes across the bottom to a small chamber on the side of the bowl. This port is very difficult to clean out if it gets clogged and if this is the case the bowl may even need to be replaced. I think they're $90. Honda carbs are very complicated and must be in top condition as is the case with all carbed 4-strokes but seems more so with a Honda. They must be accurately synchronized as well, this can not be done by ear or eye. I have to admit, of all the different engines I repair, Honda's are the most difficult in that they are so sensitive to any type of abnormality and they are unique in construction. Your marina may be right but before I started throwing money and parts at it I would want to hear some logical explanation. How did he come to this conclusion, is he sure how to fix it, and what if it does'nt, then what? It may still be the carbs, I've cleaned them twice before to be sure.

The mechanic checked the output and said no pressure but with the preponderance of fuel injected engines most fuel rails and gauges are set up for higher pressures and may miss the low output pressure of honda's.
Maybe I'm worrying about nothing and he is right. Last night I was thinking and it did cut out on me while I was underway at around 2500 rpm once and that doesn't sound like clogged idle jets.
Should know today, the pump is going to be installed this morning.

It's fixed! Just got word the pump is on and everything is fine. He was right and I was wrong, it wasn't the carbs. Charges are reasonable so no issue there. And the weather is great today :)

Back