Logo

Another Ignition Module Question

skytow

Hi Gents!

Its been a while since I posted and motors have been running well since ( 5.7 L 300 HP Crusader carbed XL's)

This week, on vacation of course, I idled out of the creek I'm on for about 10 minutes so I could check the stuffing boxes. While in neutral I heard one of the motors quit. Yup, you guessed it- no fire, no spark. I had an extra ballast resistor and put it in since the one on the funky motor was cracked but it wan't the problem (It had continuity anyway) So I poked and prodded and found ~ 6 volts at the coil but no spark. Had the mechanic double check me and he concurred that it was the module. My distributors are Mallory and the module is a Mallory as well.

The mechanic said 10+ days to get a new one so I got on-line and had one shipped by 2 pm !! At any rate, man they are $$$! Please tell me NAPA sell these for $ 30 too?

Since I have two of these what is your experience with the service life? My engines have about 400 hours on them since install in 2004. I was thinking of carrying a spare but for the cost, maybe not if failures are rare.

Second question, what the heck holds these in place? I suspect it is the two screws UNDER the distributor hold down clamps, which naturally, look miserable to get hands on. What do you recommend? Any tricks to this?

Thanks a million as always,

JD

JD,

Had same experience with our Delco EST ignition module. The replacement on ours are two small screws on the "wings" on the ends of the module. As for spares...we do carry one. As for price I believe I paid about $90.00 ??? Not really remembering the exact number. Ours failed at about 800 hours (1992 454). This is what you are referring to correct?
Ignition Module.jpg

That's the Voyager module Al.

Mallory makes more than one type of 'module' so you need fill in the blanks for those of us that can't see what you have. For the most part, they are fairly reliable. Having an onboard spare is always prudent as is a decent tool box. You aren't likely to find any new ones for $30. Your local NAPA may stock them - take the old one down and ask.

Easier than what?

Mallory had PDF instructions on their www site - you using a different set of instructions?

Mark,

That is fantastic. Can you steer me to those directions please? I looked on their site but did not find.

Sincere thanks,

JD

As an update....

I did manage to install the new Mallory ignition module and the boat fired right up! The only trick was to CUT the small aluminum pins that the distributor cap hold downs attach to. Bummer, they say the kits come with new pins but mine didn't. I ended up using 1/8 stainless cotter pins which do the trick and are easily (non-destructively) removed.

Everything is small and so easy to drop but otherwise the process is straight forward if not obvious at first glance. The whole module is held in by friction from the same nuts that hold on the distributor cap hold down mounts. I hope this helps someone else....

JD

Back