Logo

1980 Correct Craft with twin v-6 engines

1973 Browning Marine

Regular Contributor
I recently saw a 1980 23' Correct Craft "Fish Nautique" center console powered by two Inboard 4.3 liter v-6 engines. It has gear boxes rather than Alpha I/O's and the propeller shafts come through the bottom of hull. It also has two independent rutters. I do not know what type of gear boxes are in the boat and was wondering if this setup is any good? Is there less maintenance with the through hull shaft setup vs. the Alpha's? The motors are both out of the boat and need to be rebuilt. The transom looks to be a real mess but is repairable. Anyone familiar with Correct Craft boats? Do they have wooden stringers? The inner transom of the boat was wood and was rotted out. Are Correct Craft boats any good? The boat looks pretty clean other than the transom but don't want to get into floor and stringer rebuild. Already been there and done that! lol Any input would be appreciated, Tom

Tom,

probably a bit late to the game here.....
I have 5 or 6 older (60's) Correct Crafts. Great boats! I'm guessing your stringers are wood. CC didnt change the ski boats to composite until 1993. I also imagine you have foam in the hull below the floor? When this got wet it would hardly ever dry out, thus causing the stringers to rot. Have you ever been to the Correct Craft Fan website? http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/default.asp

Lots of hardcore Correct Craft lovers. Some of the guys have replaced stringers in their boats... a lot of work, but most have not been sorry they did it. If you do a search, you should be able to find some posts on the topic.

Good luck!

Back