Logo

gas pouring from carb overflow

northchain

I put in for the first time this season after waiting out the winter. As always, I put in stable and ran the gas out before storing. It started right up, but ran a little rough. I could throttle up and down no problem. I soon smelled gas and found gas coming out through the overflow on the top of the carburator (beneath the valve plate). It is a 1998 15hp 4-stroke Mercury; Model 1-F153124D, S# OG735686. Before I pull and clean the carb, I was hoping for some guidance/troubleshooting advice. Is it the float, needle...?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply... it has been two weeks since its been in the water. I have ran it a few times since the problem was first observed trying to get the juices flowing and removed the gas cap while it was running to see if it may have been a vacuum problem, but the problem continues. I should also mention that gas pours from the overflow when the ball is primed as well.

You need to clean your carb, if you don't know how, get an after market service manual, they are very easy to use. once you do a carb kit you will never pay someone else to do it for.

The fuel pump develops 4 to 6 psi where you can pump the bulb and generate 15 psi! If it doesn't leak gas when it's running, just take it easy when you cold start it.

Jeff

Back