Logo

1985 sea ray 350 omc drive water pump change !!!

gordie1465

I have a 85 sea ray with a omc outdrive ,how difficult is it to change the pump vane and is it diffucult to remove out drive to change water pump in out drive . Ive done merc before , but see that I need to remove upper and lower toether I have kit 0983218 pump kit .Not afraid but need right directions!!

Re: 85 sea ray 350 omc drive water pump change !!!

No need to remove the drive to do a wter pump on the OMC Cobra drive. Just remove the cover on the back of the upper unit. 3 Bolts and the pump is right there. Change the whole pump, housing and all.

Like Dockside said, the pump on an OMC is on the back of the upper housing. Remove the back cover, and yes, replace entire pump. The only exception here, and may not apply to that year (don't remember the years affected), is that some OMC applications went with Volvo drives. Probably newer than 85 though. Perhaps someone else can confirm. In any case, you'll know when you remove the cover. A picture of the drive will tell too. Hope it's not a KING Cobra! Not an easy pump to find.

Don't need no stikin picture, do you have rams. I bet not you have a stringer.

Welcome aboard !

No need to remove the entire drive.

Have a table or a large cooler or chair ready on the starboard side.

On a trailer lower the bow as far as it will go, and raise the drive 1/2 the way up.

Remove the very top bolts, and the exhaust and the lower will come down. place it on the table and tie it to the swim platform. be careful of the cable don't pull on it plenty of play in the cable.

remove the 4 bolts facing u in the upper drive from the bottom and the whole waterpump and shaft will come out. you could raise the drive a little more to make it easy, i sit on a milk crate when i pull the pump.

Above is from a different thread i am the author and it was posted on this website.

I bet you have no manual do you.

You have a private message in a minute.

Last edited:

Update , changed water impeller and housing , took three hours for never done a stringer , thank god I did change impeller , went to lake motor cool and no problems !!!!! thxs guys I will soon post a video how to repair an impeller on a stringer soon as not many shops like to work on stringers here in Dallas !!!!!

I recall that the Cobra was not officially introduced until 1987.
Some '86's may have been released for testing only.

Anyone that can confirm this?

yes 85' was the last year of the stringer but i have seen them on 88' till the stock ran out.

Mine is the 86' but actually some parts are form 85' they had to use out the parts with the introduction of the cobra.

What really happened was the dealers kicked up a big stink cause they had all this stock the co. pushed back the indroduction of the cobra till 87' i have not seen a cobra before a 87' boat. There might be a few but not one i saw yet !

30 Years of the OMC Sterndrive

Last edited:

B/L typically did not show up with a Cobra until 1987, for what that's worth.
I know nothing more than that re; the OMC until Volvo Penta began in 1993-4 with the SX and DP-S drives..... of which are compeltely different.

Update , changed water impeller and housing , took three hours for never done a stringer , thank god I did change impeller , went to lake motor cool and no problems !!!!! thxs guys I will soon post a video how to repair an impeller on a stringer soon as not many shops like to work on stringers here in Dallas !!!!!
I have an 1983 800 Stringer and need to replace the impeller. Did you ever post a video of your work? I live in Carrollton, near Dallas, and would appreciate the help!

Thanks!

TX boater that thread is from 5/02/2011,probably not going to get a response anytime soon,start a new thread of your own,you get many responses,stern drive is out of my expertise

Back