Logo

1999 Crusader 7.4l MPI exhaust elbows

27boat27

I am looking at a boat that has Crusader 454 7.4l MPI with 198 hours. The exhaust elbows (low profile, center rise with no separate riser) are original and have never been replaced. Is this possible? According to my research, 4-6 years in brackish and salt water. The engines are FWC so the manifolds should be fine according to my research. Their are no signs of corrosion where the elbows meet the manifolds. I am conducting a separate engine survey, but if the elbows run cool, during the survey, it will be hard to force the seller to replace them as part of the sale. Any input on this situation would be great and what would you do if in the same situation. Is there anyway to inspect these without removing from the manifold?

Here's my two cents: Engines are 12 years old and, assuming original elbows and the op conditions you described, are due for new ones. If you are buying, you can negotiate whatever conditions you want. Given the current economic conditions and a motivated seller, I would think a mutually acceptable position is easy to reach. It may be easier to just offer a price with all your identified "deferred maintenance items" costs factored in and not haggle over the minutiae.

Don't forget to add the cost of new antifreeze, disposal of the old, and gaskets to that of the elbows themselves.

That boat hasn't seen much use so I'd expect most of any 'deterioration' present is from lack of use.

Back