Logo

99 alpha gen 2 trim limit and sender question

I just got finished (well almost) with servicing complete outdrive. Of course dash trim indicator was not working, installed new trim senders on outdrive,one set of the 2 wires were just hanging on transom wall the other 2 were plugged in to the wires next to the trim pump,not good at all chasing wires so could someone help and point me in the right direction,wiring diagram in manual looks like a bee nest. Thanks for any input.Also I noticed there is a jump wire from trim switch to trailer switch on dash, its a dual lever switch mounted side by side,trim works fine in and out but like anyone else I would like for dash trim indicator to work. Thanks again

There should be another set of those wires coming out of the harness toward the back of the engine by the distributor. Probably has bullet connectors for ends. Did you set up trim limit to spec?

WoodieMan when you say set up trim limit to specification,do you mean set the tabs to line up on the inside of the senders before installing over the hinge pins. I did do that Yes. Still going to be searching for the other 2 wires

Aligning the tabs you speak of before install is the correct thing to do however, the trim limit setting that I speak of is adjusting the rotational position of the switch (puck) so that when you trim your drive out (with "trim" button not "tilt" button) it stops by itself at the proper place. Do this:

- Loosen the puck (port side ("trim limit" written on puck)) and rotate full clockwise.
- get someone else at the helm to activate the trim switch and HOLD it in the out/up position while you adjust.
- turn the puck slowly counterclockwise until the trim cylinders extend to 20 3/4 inches from the center of the front anchor pin to the center of the rear anchor pin (shafts connecting both cylinders that drive pivits on). Then tighten screws.
- bring drive all the way down, then trim up again to ensure it stops on its own again checking that the measurement is 20 3/4"

The two wires near the pump are blue in color, correct? These are the trim limit wires. the trim limit switch is just that a switch. when the outdrive is raised to a point set by the explanation of the (previous comments) it stops the trim pump up.

The other two wires are black as said and the trim sender works as a rotary resistor. NO VOLTAGE!!

Rule of thumb to set the distance the drive raises when trim (not trailer) switch is pushed is, one onethousand, two onethousand, three onethousand.

Basically 3 and 1/2 inches of trim ram extension from all the way down. This is a good place to start. should get ya close.

of course i did not read the whole comment above.........lol

Thanks WoodieMan, learn new things everyday especially about this boat and kghost thank you also. I did find the 2 wires hanging down port side of intake manifold, all 4 plug ins are intact,don't think even me can hook these wires up wrong, although I did notice does it matter which way the wires plug by the trim pump? Thanks

If you're talking about the wires you just replaced from the trim limit switch, the answer is NO, doesn't matter. It's just a switch. It'll work connected one way or the other.

Just finished up with trim senders and gauge,everything powered up and works fine, thanks WoodieMan for your help,now its back to the bushing issue in the other thread.

I finally got mercruiser tech support on the phone,you were correct WoodieMan, both seals are installed lip up,plus your photo was very helpful also. Thanks again.Great forum site. Sure I'll see you all again soon.

Yeah, I talked to a tech or who knows who he was(funny) actually seemed like he looked up the schematic on computer as I held on the phone, I could hear background noise. Thanks again WoodieMan, i have read thru different forums 4 different ways to install,which thats how many different positions you can change those 2 black seals around. I installed seals, yours and Mercruisers way. See you in some other mercruiser forum I am sure!!

Back