Logo

Need wiring help....

firepiper

Contributing Member
Need advice. I have two 4D batteries. One for port engine, one for starboard and house. I have issues when starting the starboard, the tv shuts off, sometimes the radar, etc. So, i'd like the set it up so one battery starts both engines, and one is for house only. The issue comes with how to charge the house battery. Is it as easy as pulling the alternator wire off starboard starter and running to other battery? And leave port to charge the engine batt? I keep searching these forums, but, can't find an answer. Thanks. Mark

Mark; A much better scheme is to add one dedicated battery for the house. Are you space limited? Relying on a single battery for both prime mover starts is a liability.

Also, Having one start battery means you need to install a "center fielder" Which allows both alternators to work together.

Dave is correct, it would be better to install a third battery with an ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) to keep it charged. Inexpensive install.

A 4D as a start battery is overkill. Take the two 4D batteries and use them in parallel as your house bank. Go get two group 27 batteries as your start batteries. One for each engine with a emergency parallel switch to bring the house batteries in line in case the start batteries go flat. Use a centerfielder to charge the house bank.

I like my 4D's dedicated to the engines. I'll also recommend a dedicated house battery; it really is the best solution.

Back