Logo

Mercruiser 2001 6.2 MPI with V-Drive dies when shifted into gear.

alandee51

Twin 6.2 MPI Mercs in a 2001 Searay with V-Drives. Port engines dies when engaged into gear unless you wait until the motor is at operating temperature. Just started doing this. Starboard engine still works fine. Any one have any idea what may be the cause of this ? Thanks

Thanks. I should of thought of this as the same thing happen to my car. I was not sure if the boat would have one but with MPI it makes sense. Will change do the switch from the engine that works right first and if that cures it I will pick one up. I will get back online in about a week and advise how it went. Thanks again for the help.

Also, on the IAC motor, be sure the pintle (the part that moves in and out) is good and clean, along with the pintle seat in the manifold. A little crud will mess everything up. When you have them out, a rag soaket with carb cleaner will clean them up nice and run the soaked rag into the seat also to clean any carbon or debris from the seat. Do not use sandpaper or any heavy abrasive on it, as the little scratches left behind will severely impact the seating. Don't know how many times just a good cleaning has made a rough running EFI engine I have worked on run like new.

Back