Logo

Bayliner Capri

Ellias

Hi
Im currently looking into purchasing my first boat. Im looking into a 1988 bayliner Capri with a aq125a volvo penta motor and a 270 outdrive. Im not sure whats all wrong with the boat but my question is: If the motor needs to be replaced would i be able to replace it with a volvo motor out of a volvo car or truck and what year and model would it be. I know its probably a dumb question but when i was searching online it was hard to find a aq125a that was in really good shape.

No, the engines are different. I would recommend you keep looking if the boat in question has a bum engine. Would you buy an airplane with a bad engine? Free (or cheap) does not mean that ownership will be free (or cheap). Your first boat should be something that is safe and reliable. Unless you are an experienced wrencher, go with an outboard.

I'm sorry if you take this the wrong way and don't mean to upset the VP people, but, I would spend a little more time looking for a better boat. There are so many good boats for sale that are newer, very cheap.

It doesn't get much better than the little OHC 4 cylinder Volvo Penta engines, in my book.
Yes..... The engine block portion from the auto side can be made to work, however, you'd need ti know much more about this!
Now.... I have a comment; Is this a serious question?
By 1988, the Bayliner Capri boat would have been OMC powered, unless by chance someone was able to wiggle their way into a special factory order!

BTW, if Volvo Penta, the drive would have been a 275, not a 270.

Last edited:
Thank you ricardo for that information. That would probably be a good question to ask. Also, maybe the boat motor and outdrive were replaced at some point. I think i need to do a little more research or look into another boat. Thanks for the help guys.

Thank you ricardo for that information. That would probably be a good question to ask. Also, maybe the boat motor and outdrive were replaced at some point. I think i need to do a little more research or look into another boat. Thanks for the help guys.
It is possible that it had been changed, but it is also possible that it was a special order.

The only other option during this year range, would be OMC.
OMC no longer exists, so I'd be more inclined to look further at the Volvo Penta boat.
Pretty hard to beat the older Volvo Penta engines and drives.
Bayliner was not using Mercruiser during this year range.

The Capri boat also had some wood core issues, as did many of the smaller chopper gun built boats.
Have a survey performed, to be on the safe side.
It could be the best money spent when buying any pre-owned boat.

FYI; the older Volvo Penta boats are the ones more sought after.... not so much true with the others.

I agree with ricardo, that old ohc 4 cyl is very reliable if taken care of and the drive is almost bulletproof. If OMC than I would look elsewhere.
Will be a very nice find if all in good shape. a aq125a is a volvo B21 block. 2.1L. found in old volvo 240dl cars. It is nothing more than a marinized
car engine. block is the same but all components would need swapped. alternator,starter,cam,crank,fuel pump,etc... to make work in a boat.
better make sure the hull is in good shape and worry about the mechanics after that. good luck and welcome to the forum

I ran across this thread, trying to find information on a boat that I just bought. It has an immaculate 2001 Honda 9.9 outboard on it, and I have a fisherman friend of mine who is kind enough to take me fishing a couple of times a year, and I knew he was looking for one. Talking to him, he said to buy the boat, just to get our hands on the outboard and the trailer. Now, I should tell you, I know nothing about boats. But when I went to look at it, I found the boat to be in great shape. I am now thinking that maybe I should try to get it running. I paid $1,000 for it, it's a 1984 Bayliner Capri with the Volvo 125 in it. The boat is in way better shape than I was expecting, and when I got it home I took all the seats and covers off and looked everything over really well. The deck seems to be in great shape, it isn't soft or saggin anywhere. The seats and dash are all excellent, except for some very small dots of mold in places. The motor has considerable rust on it in lots of places, which worries me as far as wanting to fix it up. It has rust all over the bottom of the motor, and on the alternator, and lots of the screws are all rusty. You can see there was a ring of water in the bilge area, like the motor had been sitting in water. The bottom of the motor is completely covered in rust. It hasn't been on the water in 5 years. Of course the batteries are toast, and I don't know what else. I know it's impossible to say what all could be wrong with it. It doesn't run, but the guy I bought it from says that it's just all gummed up from being started on bad gas. I don't know if that is true, as I wasn't planning on keeping the boat I wasn't too worried about the condition of the engine, just after that Honda motor for my buddy. If this is a good boat, I think that I will fix it up and we'll keep looking for an outboard for his fishing boat. So a 1984 Bayliner Capri is a good boat? Can I get a replacement motor and just drop it in for less than $1000? Maybe I should just do the obvious and head to a boat mechanic. Just looking for a little advice and some education before my buddy comes over and tries to snag that Honda motor!!! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Back