Logo

1959 johnson fat fifty

ciscowine

I have a 1959 johnson 50hp, that I currently use on my pontoon boat runs great my question is. Is it possible to use the reed valve from a 1964 60hp? Read somewhere that you could use it for less gas consumption because it was a new design. Also read you could use the heads from the 64 60hp and put them on the 59,the reason for this was because the 59 didnt have water jackets in them and the 64 did. Has anyone heard of this or even tried it PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!​

My humble 10 cents worth is to leave a nice running 59 alone. These are too old for mixing and matching parts, in that say, you remove the heads and find that internal corrosion prevents the proper fitment of any head due to sealing surfaces. May well make the motor a static display instead of a reliable runner for a while longer. I also doubt whether later heads will match up with the blocks water jacket config.

You have not said whether head swap is because of a major problem?

B

well the head swap would be just because of the water jackets i figured it would help, as far as the reed valves go I got a hold of a seloc manual it stated " the 75hp reed valves would fit on the 59 just needed to round the edges off so it would fit this would make less fuel consumption" as so it says.

Back