Logo

1975 Evinrude 15HP wonbt startand the kids want to go fishing

T

Troy Wise

" I have, as the subject line

" I have, as the subject line suggests, a 1975 Evinrude 15HP outboard that will not start. It started hard last year when I got it, but it would run then. This year, I tried to start it and got a lot of black, oily fuel dripping out around the prop. I found a broken clamp on the fuel line; fixing this solved that problem. However, the motor will still not start.

I am getting fuel to the carb; hitting the electric start sucks the drop of gas into the carb, so I think that I am getting good vacuum. I seem to be getting spark, but I am not sure how strong. The motor will simply not fire.

Any help is most appreciated! "

" Sounds like you may have a g

" Sounds like you may have a gummed-up fuel system, carburetor may need cleaning out.
I would try to narrow it down to a specific area, either a fuel flow problem or an ignition problem.
If the ignition is good, then you can look elsewhere.
Phil "

" Carb looks clean and I am ge

" Carb looks clean and I am getting fuel to the cylinders...I know this because my plugs get wet with gas after I try to start it for a while.

Thank you for your insight. I will check the ignition system. By the way, what's the best way to check for spark/ignition? "

" From other posts that I have

" From other posts that I have read, the spark should jump a 7/16 gap,, say between the engine block and the spark plug wire. I have checked this by putting a screwdriver in the plug cap, and holding the blade of the srewdriver 7/16 away from a shiny metal spot on the engine block. Turn the engine over.
Phil "

" Troy,

Easiest way to c

" Troy,

Easiest way to check the spark is pick up a spark tester; for a few bucks you can pick one up at any auto-parts store. Most spark testers are adjustable, so you can actually set it to 7/16 and then check... I'm not sure if that year engine is actually 7/16 though, it could be less, check before you go replacing parts. The black carboned up oil dripping out of the prop means little and is nothing to worry about; unburned fuel get kicked out in the exhaust, sticks to the exhaust housing and slowly makes it's way down.

If you can see that there is some degree of spark, I would first look at the carbs. Even though it may appear that you have fuel on the plugs, it may be contaminated with water, or just too sour to burn properly... there is a higher probability of this if the fuel was not drained and/or stabilized before the engine was put away. In that case, it's also a sure bet that the carb is gunked up. Just as a preliminary test, it may be a good idea to drain the carb and lines, and then use some new fuel.. you could even try spraying some into the spark plug holes. If it starts firing then, you probably can blame it on fuel.

Jon "

Back