Logo

351M -351w outdrive bolt patterns

temiskaming

The problem I have is I can not find a 351 w block I can only find a 351m block and I wanted to know if it would bolt up to my OMC outdrive?

Thank you
Louie Larabie
Show%5C21_b_cell1.gif
( 705) 622-0536

I know very little about the SBF, but apparently Ford produced the Cleveland for 5 years in the 70's and produced the Windsor for 25-30 years. Parts availability for the Windsor is far greater. The Windsor rear engine flange is same on both 302 and 351.
You will find that the OMC Cobra was fitted to the 335 series Windsor ONLY........ and the King Cobra was fitted to the 385 series 460 only.
OMC did not use the 351 M or 351 C, to my knowledge.
I think that you should be able to find plenty of Windsor cores to build from.

My question to you is:
Are you asking about the differences between the 335 series Windsor 351 and the 351 Modified engine? (Not the Cleveland, correct?)
I think that the Modified is also known as the 351 Milan ...... aka 351 M engine.
Apparently the two 351's are not the same blocks, and particularly at the rear engine flange.
If this is being mounted to an OMC Cobra drive "flywheel Cover", the M engine apparently will not work.
If this is a King Cobra drive, then perhaps the 351 M will bolt up to the OMC 460 KC "flywheel cover".
Now you have to find a drive coupler that will work with either.

You can find this info on the Hot Rodders Bulletin Board web site;

351 Cleveland was great in it's time but the Windsor wins hands down now days.
The Cleveland had the best flowing heads for a SB Ford before aftermarket heads, that's what made them great motors pre 1990's.
As for differences, the Cleveland and Windsor had a SB bell housing bolt pattern, while the 351 M had a 429-460 pattern. (385 series 429/460).
The oiling on a 351 Windsor oils the mains first then the cam bearings, then the top end, on a Cleveland or M the oiling goes to both the cam and main bearings at the same time then to the top end. The Windsor had an inline valve train, while the Cleveland and M had a canted valve train.
The Windsor has a wet intake, while Cleveland and M have a dry intakes.
The mains caps on a Windsor are 2 bolt non splayed while the Cleveland had 2 or 4 bolt mains with splayed caps, the M had just 2 bolt splayed caps. Timing covers for the Windsor is a cast aluminum piece while the Cleveland and M have a stamped steel piece. Clevelands have smaller diameter mains than the Windsor or M.
BTW the 351 M has a 351 Windsor crankshaft in it.

The motor mounts on a Cleveland and Windsor are the same, the 351 M is quit a bit different.
The 351 C and 351 M have the same valve covers while the Windsor is the same as the 289 and 302.
The Cleveland is good if they are built right.
The 351 M is good for scrap iron, and the Windsor is the best of the bunch.

Last edited:
Back