Logo

No reverse on 125

svridersv

I have a Mercury 2001 125hp. I had problems with the reverse last year. Ended up being the idle needed turned up so that it would engage in forward and reverse because I put a stainless steel prop on. i thought I had it fixed. took it out today and it wouldnt go in forward or reverse. If I tapped on the button on the bottom of the handle a couple times it would go in forward but i cant ever get it to go to reverse. It just reves up the motor but push it forward and it goes in forward. The cable arent stuck because it revs up both ways. Just wont engage in reverse. HELP. Im looking for any ideas before I take to a mechanic. I turned up the idle a little like last year and still didnt help.

Related problem? Ideas...
1985 25hp Mariner/Merc was working fine when a shift to reverse instead engaged forward gear. Now Remote Controlled Neutral, Throttle Disengage, Forward Gear work great but going from Neutral to Reverse engages the Forward Gear??? VERY DANGEROUS WAY TO APPROACH A DOCK EXPECTING REVERSE TO ENGAGE! Luckily a novice driver was testing her ability to stop right at a submerged sapling when this was discovered. No injuries or damage.

Disconnect shift linkage on the engine end of the shift cable. See if you can move the shift lever (by hand where the remote cable connects) easily from N to F and back. If ok, move on. With somebody turning the prop while you do it, see if you can move the shift lever between N and R allowing time for the slots-cogs in the R shifter to line up and engage.

If both are ok, you have cable/remote control problems. If not you have engine problems. Do the test and come back with the results.

Engine switch off and linkage disconnected for entire test. Shift lever moves easily from F-N-R at all times - same when linked. (Accelerator lever position seems to make no diff.) While slowly rotating the shaft counter clockwise, whether in R or N or F, there are 3 slight clicks per rotation and then engagement after a few turns. (Engaged, you can with a bit of force turn engine. Going clockwise always un-engages.)

There is ~1/16-inch axial shaft play and pushing boatward makes engagement more immediate, often on just click 1 or 2. Rotating clockwise never engages, which would seem necessary to engage Reverse. In water test, the boat operates as if the control were intended to be F-N-F. FYI

Lower Unit lube was creamy and possibly a little low. I will replace and repeat testing. MANY THANKS! Jim

Disconnect shift linkage on the engine end of the shift cable. See if you can move the shift lever (by hand where the remote cable connects) easily from N to F and back. If ok, move on. With somebody turning the prop while you do it, see if you can move the shift lever between N and R allowing time for the slots-cogs in the R shifter to line up and engage.

If both are ok, you have cable/remote control problems. If not you have engine problems. Do the test and come back with the results.

No.....sounds to me line F gear is working ok since it clicks during CW rotations but turns the flywheel on CCW rotations. R is completely different....no over run clutch, vertical sided cogs and slots....3 sets on earlier engines and 6 sets on later. The prop or driveshaft has to be rotated as the shift selector is moved int R so that partial movement of the shift lever will develop into full engagement and lever travel once the two line up and engage. If somewhere along the line you attempted to R without one of the two things mentioned above turning as you did it, you could have bent your shift linkage preventing you from total engagement.

There is no overrun function in R. If operating properly the prop shaft is locked to the flywheel in both directions once engaged.

Back