Logo

What is a good price for transom rebuild? 2000 4.3L

moondrifter

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys!
I have a 2000 4.3 190 hp Alpha 1, Gen 2 Mercruiser/800 hrs. Been looking to have some preventative maintence done. All rubber like Bellows, Little Bellows, Shift cable kit, Water impeller, check all other things. In Illinois prices very quite a bit What would be a fair price with Merc parts?
Also, Can ya think of anything else that should be done while in there. Trying to keep from missing something that will make me go thru all that labor charges.
What would you do?
Thank You
Moondrifter

Re: What is a good price for transom rebuild?

Just a friendly FYI for you; a "Transom" is the vertical and structural portion of the hull's stern.
When I read your thread title, I was expecting questions regarding a transom core replacement! LOL

What you are refering to with the Merc drive, will be your Gimbal Housing.... aka Transom Housing!

In 11 years/800 hours, you are over-due on some of these items, IMO.
Gimbal Bearing, universal shaft "bearing crosses", possibly the seals in this same area, and all other seals!

Suggestion: when this has all been replaced, try storing your drive as full down as possible, and with drive aimed straight ahead.
When/if trailering.... raise the drive NO MORE than need be! (there is no need to be Full Up unless road clearance dictates)
This will relieve any potential stress that will otherwise be placed on the bellows, if not practiced.
(when neutralized, the drive shaft bellows most ressemble a drive full down/aimed straight ahead.... best to maintain this, IMO)
To my knowledge, only recently has the OEM began to mention this.

Last edited:

Check:
- continuity cables
- check trim limit and sender wiring. If trim gauge is bouncing around, I would replace sender and switch (sold as kit with both)
- anodes
- gimble bearing (replacement will be sealed so grease nipple will be replaced with plug)
- check shift shaft seal
- all bellows
- shift cable
- raw water intake hose
- gear lube hose
- speed pitot tube
- check for latteral and vertical play in swivel pin. Also, if there is water intrusion through steering arm cavity, now would be the time to replace the seal on the swivel pin (time consuming).

If there's been no service done for a long time, expect that something will come up that wasn't foreseen (siezed hardware etc).

When was the drive serviced last?

5 years but they said it looked OK and did'nt replace bellows.
Bear with me.... and all in fun here with a bit of sarcasm:

A shop had this apart, knowing that bellows were 5 years old, and are about $70 + labor......., and yet they did not recommend replacing it? :mad:
I'd be finding a new shop!

The reason I say this is because of the cost to repair damage potentially resulting from a failed drive bellows.
This can be a very expensive repair..... and replacing bellows routinely, is very cheap insurance against this, IMO.

Your call! :D

I meant when was the DRIVE last serviced, not the transom assembly. Or are you saying that the impellor is 5 years old? When was the gear lube last changed?

I charge $450.00 labor plus parts. That gets you all the bellows, bearing shift cable and water pump installed. Bellows kit w/bearing list for around $190.00 Lower shift cable is around $70.00 Plus Gear lube. Merc water pump is $60.00

Around $800.00 Parts and labor.

I will bring it to you for $800.. I'm in northern Illinois and they want twice that at my dealer.

$800. To do bellows, gimbal bearing shift cable and shift bellows and water pump and gear oil........should take someone who knows what there doing maybe 6 hours +/- .

So what ever there rate is multiply by 6. If there rate is $90. Per hr that would be ~ $550 for labor..

Add in parts ~$350 +/-

that equates to ~$900.00. +/-.

I just want to thank this site for keeping up with the prices in todays market. I had estimates that had labor charges that were more than the entire job. That' were with parts and labor. If it was not for the info I recieved from this site I would have spent twice as much. As informed here, I am getting Mercruiser parts and labor for just over half of my first 2 estimates.
Just want a fair price and thanks to you guys I got one.
Moondrifter

Well it is too bad you do not live closer to some of us as for me I could/would have beeten even the prices given here...

I have done hundreds of the boots, bellows, shift cables etc etc and I typically charge half gojng the labor rate............

Most likely would have cost you ~$500.00 for the hole job, and a case of beer!! if you lived near me............Just sayin........

My marina wanted 2300 for bellows, shift cable, gimbal, new gaskets, oil and supplies. Their head mechanic didn't want to quote me a price, because he thought I would shop it around. Damned right. When my contract was over, I left. I understand that everyone needs to make a buck. Bottomline, is west marine has these parts on the shelf. If your competent, just do it, like I do on Sat before everyone else is out of bed.

Back