Logo

Slow tilt/trim with Evinrude Ocean Pro E90 SLED, 1996.

scumbuster

Replaced pump motor with NEW motor in 2007 or 2006 and all has gone well. Recently engine moves up s l o w l y and you must PUSH
on engine coweling to get it to start moving down it then moves down with the pump/motor. Can't tell if or how the trim is working. There is a more PRONOUNCED NOISE at this time, louder
than B4 when things went well. I use the boat very little. The pump motor seems to be OK. Could there be a low hydro-oil level? I have the FASTRAC system.
Thank you.

The louder noise is air moving through the pump. Raise it up all the way and top off the fluid. The slow movement may be due to weak batteries or electrical connections that are loose or dirty.

I do not recommend greasing them. When they are retracted the external wiper will clear all the grease and will actually hold debris. When they are retracted they are covered in trim fluid.

Thanks again. Question: Would the trim/tilt fluid on the shafts be a reason for a low oil condition which might cause the noise & slowness I mentioned? In other words
could the coating of the shafts cause an eventual loss of hydro-oil?

Last edited:
Unless the shaft seals are leaking, you should not loose oil. Also if the shafts have little rust pits(black spots) on them they will leak oil at different tilt positions.

Assuming that the PTT electric motor is running at its normal speed........ Have the engine in its extreme full up position, then fill the reservoir to overflowing (this may need repeating).

If the PTT electric motor is not running at its normal speed....... remove and clean thoroughly all cables and wiring associated with the PTT assembly. This includes the battery terminals, plug in connectors leading from the PTT switches and the electric motor itself, also the ground cable at the powerhead (everything!). Also be sure to clean whatever component the cables/wires attach to. One loose or tight but dirty contact will result in a voltage drop that will in turn result in a slow running, and eventually damaged electric motor.

The slow down mode movement, where you state you must push on the hood to get the engine moving down...... This is caused by the steering/tilt tube starting to stick bad around the swivel bracket due to either corrosion or one of the large end nuts being too tight (tube that the steering cable goes thru). This tightness caused the trim rams to start down before the tilt cylinder (backwards function).

Loosen one of those large nuts somewhat, then take a 2x4 and a heavy hammer to tap hard on the side of the swivel bracket to move it sideways ever so slightly. Spray WD40 on the bushing areas and grease those fittings thoroughly. (Tap?... You may need to give it a really hard whack!)

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back