Logo

Year of my 9.8 Mercury by Serial # ??

kelownamerc

Hello, glad to find an active forum discussing issues vast and small about these motors.

First off, I would like to know what year my motor is, Serial #7156898.

Next question, what type of spark plug does my motor require? Also I had it out on the water last year, everything seems to work decent. I purchased to motor for $50.00. Replaced the water pump impeller myself.

While fishing last year, my motor doesnt seem to want to stay running at idle (making trolling no fun), replaced the diaphragm in the carb (it looked stretched). Also at WOT sometimes it sounds like its revved up and at full speed, but sometimes it revs up, but surges back and forth to lower RPMS. When first starting the motor the day of, it takes quite a few pulls. After its been running, it becomes easier to restart.

Any help or comments by those with much more experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Think it may be a 1982. Can anyone confirm this?

BUMP
Nope, your engine is a 1980 MERCURY 9.8 M, Model number 1010200

Mercury Part number 97186 (2) SPARK PLUGS (NGK #B9HS-10)

Or Mercury Part number 86866 (2) SPARK PLUGS for Belgium and Canada engines.

Here are your engine parts for you to look at, But keep in mind you can buy your engine parts here at this website (marineengine.com) usually at better price.;):)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=13716

Good luck and have fun with your new engine.:cool:

Is there a way to find out the model of my engine? The sticker says it is a 2008 model, but the serial number is not matching anything on the internet. It is supposed to be a Sea Pro 9.8 two-stroke.

plate.jpgSerial.jpg

Is there a way to find out the model of my engine? The sticker says it is a 2008 model, but the serial number is not matching anything on the internet. It is supposed to be a Sea Pro 9.8 two-stroke.

View attachment 12759View attachment 12760
Something's not adding up with any of your engine numbers. What area do you live in?

From what I'm seeing thus far the 9.8's would of been an 9.8 SEAPRO (2 Cyl.)(International) S/N # 0N055110 & Up.

The 1C100528 number is coming up as an MERCURY 4 STROKE EFI CHINA 40EFI ELPT 4 model number 1A40412HZ.

To try and confirm this, you'll want to try and locate a serial number that should be stamped into one of the engine blocks welch plugs like seen in the following link as an example,
https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/ma...ry-marine-outboard-motor-serial-number-number

^ Need to see if the numbers match. There's a possibility the wrong white sticker was installed incorrectly somewhere along the line or the serial numbers where inputted incorrectly. Finding the welch plug serial number may help.

Thank you for your reply boat_tech. I am located in Europe, but I as far as my information is correct the engine came from Japan. I opened the engine and tried to find such plugs, but apparently there is nothing relevant to a serial number there. The engine compartment is pretty clean and it seems to be in a good condition, it starts up and runs nice.
I did check on manuals available on http://download.brunswick-marine.com/ but I wasn't able to find this model in any of the yearly released catalogs available there. Could this be a 2008 two-stroke 9.8?

I opened the engine and tried to find such plugs, but apparently there is nothing relevant to a serial number there.
Please keep in mind that link was more of an example of what it would look like and while possibly it could of been in that one place shown, there are/should be many more plugs like it that should have a number stamped in it somewhere on the engine. It could take a little bit of time to find it if it's there like it should. So keep an eye out for it as it should help take the guessing out of it...good luck.

I did check on manuals available on http://download.brunswick-marine.com/ but I wasn't able to find this model in any of the yearly released catalogs available there. Could this be a 2008 two-stroke 9.8?
Someone here like galamb may know a little more about this but I believe Merc stopped making the 9.8 in the USA and went to the 9.9 exclusively while they still made 9.8's for other countries like you've mentioned and are showing in your photo. And from what I know, I believe the newer serial numbers would start with 0N for that engine size/model for International engines....at least here in the USA it shows 0N****** as being for 9.8 (2 CYL.)(International). http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=9.8+(2+CYL.)(International) As I can't find any 1C100528 type numbers that fit like what your sticker shows being a 9.8 HP.

I could see the 1C1 number fitting the 9.9 HP though.

Sorry but I can't be of much more help. But maybe you could try explaining your situation here to see what they may know using this info above. https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/contact/outboard-customer-assistance

Keep us updated if possible, good luck.

Thank you once again. I'll give it a try when I get back home on Friday, and check for any number visible inside.

Apparently yes, from what I could identify as matching on the drawings.
But I have found a guy who has an identical 9.8, and his serials are matching (label and plate). Because of this I believe my sticker is fake, but as the plate seems to be untouched, the serial has to be 015645. Can someone please check if this serial belongs to a 9.8 motor?

For a merc it must be 7 digits long

I know, but on his sticker he has 0N024050, while the plate shows 024050 only, this is why I suspect mine should be similar, I need to find the missing two chars from the beginning.

So XX015645 shall be mine, dunno how to check it though.

I think so. I was told by the seller, all Mercury motors below 25 or 50? (this I can't remember) are / were manufactured by Tohatsu.

I know, but on his sticker he has 0N024050, while the plate shows 024050 only, this is why I suspect mine should be similar, I need to find the missing two chars from the beginning.

So XX015645 shall be mine, dunno how to check it though.
Just to let you know, I'm not finding any info using any of the 0N number combinations to find a true engine model number...Sorry.

But you're probably right about the smaller number on the metal tag being part of a serial number...Good luck.

Just to let you know, I'm not finding any info using any of the 0N number combinations to find a true engine model number...Sorry.

But you're probably right about the smaller number on the metal tag being part of a serial number...Good luck.

I decided to contact Tohatsu, and they were kind enough to answer pretty fast actually, so based on the plate, they told me it is a Mercury Marine 9.8 HP SEAPRO (2 Cyl.) (International) version from 2001 presumably.

So I will go ahead and try to find the manual and schematics for this model. Just realised this one can accomodate a starter motor?!? There seem to be upgrade kits available out there that would turn them into "button start" outboards. These are expensive though.

Quelque chose ne va pas avec l'un de vos numéros de moteur. Dans quelle région habites-tu ?

D'après ce que je vois jusqu'à présent, le 9.8 aurait été un 9.8 SEAPRO (2 Cyl.)(International) S/N # 0N055110 & Up.

Le numéro 1C100528 apparaît sous la forme d'un numéro de modèle MERCURY 4 STROKE EFI CHINA 40EFI ELPT 4 1A40412HZ.

Pour essayer de confirmer cela, vous voudrez essayer de localiser un numéro de série qui devrait être estampé dans l'un des blocs moteurs welch plugs comme on le voit dans le lien suivant à titre d'exemple,
https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/ma...ry-marine-outboard-motor-serial-number-number

^ Besoin de voir si les chiffres correspondent. Il est possible que le mauvais autocollant blanc ait été installé de manière incorrecte quelque part le long de la ligne ou que les numéros de série aient été saisis de manière incorrecte. Trouver le numéro de série de la prise welch peut aider.
Je pense que c'est peut-être un 1982. Quelqu'un peut-il le confirmer ?

BOSSE
quelleq’un pu me dire l’année de mon moteur numéro de série 7189817

Back