Logo

1990 crusader 690 hours fresh water only

40208n

I just got a crusader T350 ci 260hp twins with 690 hrs, 1990 year. What is the cost to replaice both impellers and how can I check without waiting for the engine to overhear?

The bare impellers run ~ $30 each....labor will vary by region and access.

You can assess the health of the raw water pump by measuring its product flow (water output).

The bare impellers run ~ $30 each....labor will vary by region and access.

You can assess the health of the raw water pump by measuring its product flow (water output).
tHIS MIGHT BE A DUM QUESTION BUT HOW DO YOU MEASURE WATER OUTPUT AND HOW MUCH IS THE RIGHT AMOUNT?

Bucket and stopwatch....but we measure the quantity of water delivered directly from the pump. Also, use the mercruiser spec - 7.5 qts in 15 seconds with the engine running at 1000 rpm. Anything less means pump is shot or a restriction (or a leak at the strainer) exists upstream of the pump.

Another problem indicator is air bubbles in the pump's output product - aerator water doesn't cool very well.

Since it is new to you, you might just plan on overhauling both pumps as they are likely to be in need of the service.

Last edited:
Both engines should pump the same. Can't you compare each side? I did that when I had an air leak before the raw water pump.

Jeff

It is easy to agree with the two experts above because they are truly experts....and to take their expertise a step further....it was that exact same strainer air leak Jeff posted 2 years ago that stayed in my head and as soon as my port engine temp started to escalate a bit those words SCREAMED out at me: "Aerated water does not cool as well and there is a leak some where". Immediately repaired it to go boating another day , UN-interupted...

Mark's advice to overhaul both pumps is smart. I came to recognize the neglect of vessel maintenance that lies in some owners hearts when they are planning to sell their boat at the end of season. Take the time to look at all hoses, clamps, connections or fittings.

Back