Logo

Bigger engine

welshswampy

Regular Contributor
I have an aq 130 on a 20ft cathedral hull approx1 1/2 ton, I have the chance of a cheap aq170,Can anyone tell me what the extra fuel consumption would be betwen the two? I know there are a lot of variables, but can anyone give me a rough estimate at say 3000rpm?

The AQ 170 6 cylinder engine has long since been out of production. Exhaust manifolds alone can break the boat bank.
Top that off by the older push rod engine design, the additional weight, and this is not necessarily a desireable engine to own.
However, if you found a real sweet one............. Hmmm.

images

images

The AQ series OHC 4 may be a better chioce for you.
Here is an AQ 145 that can be made to work. Ratio in the lower unit can remain the same (2.15:1)
Volvo-Penta-AQ145A-Abbildung.jpg

Food for thought:
There have been an excessive number of 2.30:1 Duo Prop lower units being offered via e-Bay as of lately.
Because of this ratio, they are not as popular, therefor do not bring as much money.
Have you considered this as an option -vs- more engine power?

I didnt think that a duo prop unit would be compatible with a 130, I assumed they were only suitable for a more powerful engine, if i could fit one, what ratio would I need, and what about prop size/pitch?

1. I didnt think that a duo prop unit would be compatible with a 130, I assumed they were only suitable for a more powerful engine,
  2. if i could fit one, what ratio would I need,
  3. and what about prop size/pitch?

1. The efficiency is not as great with the smaller engines. But there is an improvement, and in some cases, it is practical means.
  2. See post # 2 again.
  3. Props are always trial and error..... shooting for OEM spec'd WOT RPM being the goal.... just as we would for a single prop.

Spooky, just seen an aq 145 on ebay(never noticed one before on UK ebay)
Would I notice much of an improvement with my current 270 sp with this slightly bigger engine, or would it be better to use a dp if I get this 145?

Back