Logo

opinion needed from, Bob,Hy, Chief,or Ricardo 1988 5.7 L

rcahill31

Regular Contributor
I put a new impeller in my 1988 cobra,4 winns vista, 5.7 liter at the end of last Oct., question is will it be alright to start the engine as it is or should I take out the impeller and re-install before starting?

Re: opinion needed from, Bob,Hy, Chief,or Ricardo

Well, I'm assuming that you will be starting this engine while on the garden hose and muffs.... correct?
Your scenario is no different than if the impeller had been installed for a year or so....., so it certainly will not harm anything if you were to inspect it prior to start up.
This will also give you an opportunity to lube it since it will be dry....... Glycerin would be a good choice, IMO.

My belief is that new impeller should be installed just prior to re-commissioning.... not during winter lay up.
An impeller that is used year round, will likely outlast one that is left to sit in the pump housing not being used.
This has to do with a stationary impeller with three/four blades that remain folded over against the cam area for this duration, causing an eventual "set" in the material.
Some fair better than others!

I'd pull this at the end of this upcoming season, and shelf it until the following spring.
You'll be surprised at how how much better it will fair.

Last edited:

ricardo, Yes , I will use the muffs and because the weather was really nice last fall I decided to inspect the impeller and since I had a new one I thought I would replace it and same time in the spring, but later I was told that maybe it was not a good idea as sometimes there is not enough lubricant and may cause a problem, thank you for your reply

I like to hold the muffs tight against the drive with my hands while someone else starts the boat. Just to force water up into the pump.

should be no problem start her up just make sure water is going to the drive.

Back